• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

if not mtr's for the rocks, then what?

MONSTERxbla said:
thanks for all the input guys! I just called to order 5 mt/r's and was told that they were out of them because goodyear got a military contract for the humvee tires. I called a local tire shop and desert rat. just when I decide on a tire ;) I guess I'll have to shop around a bit

HMMVV doesn't use MT/R, and they run 37". I don't see how this would affect your order.

razdrvr said:
HMMVV doesn't use MT/R, and they run 37". I don't see how this would affect your order.

they _do_ run MT/R's when the standard goodyear tire is not available, like when there are several thousand HMMVV's being driven around the desert by several thousand 20 year old boys who pinch flat a lot.

As such, the plants that make MT/R's have been upping production on 37's and slowing down on other sizes, making the tires less available.

He should still be able to get them within a week or so.

cal said:
good in snow...

I agree with everything you said but this...........

Here in Ohio every person I know HATEs the MT/R's in winter. I never ran them, but this past winter on the trail I was on BFG AT, and another guy in a TJ had the Goodyear’s. Both of us were at 10 psi, and he had a vary hard time making it up a simple hill, where as I went strait up it. So from what I seen the MT/R's are great on everything......but snow.

Now I’m running 34x10.5x15 LTBs.......which are amazing here in the Midwest, and not just MUD (I HATE PLAYING IN JUST MUD). Also If you can take the noise........I can run them just fine at 75mph............but maybe in just lucky.

Last edited:
I've only seen BFG baja and Goodyear MT out here in Baghdad, never seen an MTR, I guess they could be using them elsewhere.

Last edited:
MTR`S are a thick tire, lots of compound, but if you do manage to put a hole in it, its a real pain in the ass to get a plug in it if your on the side of the trail, up here in canada, lots of us run super swamper iroks, tsl`s, and the sx`s, there good tires for the terrain, mostly wet mossy rocky terrain, if you grove the tires you get even more traction on the rock, i have tsls on my jeep and i love them, in the snow, on rock, in sand, i run them at 6 psi, and on a 8" rim, havent blown a bead yet,

heres a pic of my truck with them on, and a pattern grooved into them
IMG_1820.jpg

also a buddy of mine runs 33" dayton timberline mt`s, and he swears by them, he wheels his xj pretty hard but unlike mine his is a dd,

heres a pic of his, with the timberlines
IMG_1824.jpg

nick

Every experience I've had with MTRs has been negative. Punctured sidewalls. But then again, they don't call me "Rubber Buster" for nothing.

needtofinishmyrig said:
lock it front and rear and run a/t's.
:huh:

needtofinishmyrig said:
lock it front and rear and run a/t's.

4 tires and six spares?

People run MT/R's cuz they are tired of BFG's going flat. :)

sleeperjeeper said:
I've heard that Bias Ply tires get flat spots when sitting too long in the cold, so keep that in mind. Pit Bulls look sick and I have seen them get good ratings, but I've never used them.

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT-Tires/Pit-bull-Rocker-Extreme.htm

here is a good link on tire reviews

yes the bias ply tires do get flat spots on them when sitting in the cold for too long, i noticed that my truck would sit for a week and then i would have flat spots, but i drive it for about 15 min and they go away so its not too bad,

the pitbull tires are a awsome tire, a friend of mine runs a 37" rocker on his tj and he goes everywhere with it,

For the Midwest a Q78-15" Super Swamper is hard to beat. They are 35.5" tall, have 27/32" of tread depth with a 9.5" tread width and a 10.8" section width.

In comparision a 34"x10.50"-15" LTB is 33.6" tall, have 22/32" of tread depth with 9.25" of tread width and a 11.2" section width.

The Q-78's are a great tire. They also stuff much better then a wider tire does.

Starboard M said:
Thornbirds.....:D
Do those come with super glue yet?

lol at guy asking for a rock tire and people suggesting boggers, trxus, and bighorns.

if you look around you can find maxxis creepy crawlers for a significantly lower price.

i found my 37x12.5 b15's for $300 each. at www.nebraskatire.com, MUCH less than the price advertised on the maxxis website

they are great on the street, balance well, ride smooth, no flat spotting. I use them as a dd tire. the only downside is treadwear. Keep in mind i have a spool and do alot of city driving, but im at about the 15-20k mark and would estimate about 5k miles left.

oh yea, they are great in the rocks. i don't have to worry about the sidewalls, they took some nasty slices and have chunks missing but no leaks. just the occasional dented wheel. (6psi)

ktm racer 419 said:
lol at guy asking for a rock tire and people suggesting boggers, trxus, and bighorns.

if you look around you can find maxxis creepy crawlers for a significantly lower price.

i found my 37x12.5 b15's for $300 each. at www.nebraskatire.com, MUCH less than the price advertised on the maxxis website

they are great on the street, balance well, ride smooth, no flat spotting. I use them as a dd tire. the only downside is treadwear. Keep in mind i have a spool and do alot of city driving, but im at about the 15-20k mark and would estimate about 5k miles left.

oh yea, they are great in the rocks. i don't have to worry about the sidewalls, they took some nasty slices and have chunks missing but no leaks. just the occasional dented wheel. (6psi)

lucky, the maxxis creepy crawlers are average $450-$500 per tire up here in canada,

Back