• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

if not mtr's for the rocks, then what?

07-11-08001.jpg

planefixer said:
My old MT/Rs did great on the rocks both here in Colorado and in Moab - climbed up whatever I pointed them at.I wasn't too impressed with them in the snow though.
This is my experience with them also. I need to log a few more snow runs to really get a feel for them, but they hook up extremely well in the rocks, and do better than the tread pattern would seem to indicate in the mud. The BFG Krawlers are an excellent rock tire by all accounts I've heard, but like the MTR are only a slightly above average mud tire.

Talk to people in your local area that you wheel with or meet on the trail, get some feedback and make a decision. I do not regret buying MTRs at all, but like another poster said I have also torn a sidewall on one. It was pretty much a under power smack into a pointed root, so I blame the operator more than the tire. :(

MTRs suck in florida, they suck ass in sand, mud, lime rock, more sand. I was having to use 4x4 on a flat trail that had sugar sand... i wouldnt have bought them but i got 4 37x12.50x15 and rims for $500

but out west on rocks i here they arent so bad,

They are a great tire for the rocks. They hold up fairly well on pavement. And as has been previously mentioned, mud and snow is not their strong point.

ExTankerGuy said:

x2

i run 35" reverse claws on mine...do great on the muddy/wet rocks down here

rogersjeep said:
Got to say I like the IROKS they do great in the mud, rocks, and the sand.
The only other tire I would consider is the Bogger.
boggers on the rocks, youve gotta be kidding, they have to be the worse tires on the rocks, unless you grove them and run em at 3 psi then they work ok

BlackSport96 said:
My friend's MTRs got punctured quite often out here in the desert. But desert plant life is really tough. My Dunlop Mud Rovers have been alright. They were fairly inexpensive as well. I've heard lots of good about Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. Supposed to be good for mud and rock both.

Your friends MTRs should never touch desert plant life...

There is a huge amount of people in AZ running MTR's. Most seem pleased, bu there are quite a few sidewall incidents...

ROBZ95Xj said:
boggers on the rocks, youve gotta be kidding, they have to be the worse tires on the rocks, unless you grove them and run em at 3 psi then they work ok

Boggers do GREAT on rocks that have rough edges... the tread acts like fingers grabbing the ledges and chunks in the rocks face...now on the rubicon where the rocks are smooth faced they wont do that.

The only place I'd run Boggers is in, you know, mud bogs. Their drawbacks far outweigh their advantages in every other terrain. Very heavy tire, most sizes are too wide for factory XJ axles without giving up turning radius or ridiculous amounts of wheel/spacer backspacing. Prone to snapping axles due to their heavy, grabby nature, they ride like ass on the street, sidehill slip like a mofo, dig to China in the snow, jump around like a crackhead on a three day binge under power on rock or packed dirt, just not a good all-around tire.

But run what you like, your experience may differ.

I've been runnin 35" MT/R's for about 3 years now. I went 2 years without a single flat tire, killed 9 in one season, and then haven't had a single flat since.

During that season, I was doing a lot of driving waay too fast under 10 PSI, and they were all sidewall cuts. I cut that out and haven't had a problem since.

MT/R's do *GREAT* in the rocks, they are *GREAT* on the road, good in "dirt", ok in sand, good in snow.. I would like to tell you they are horrible in mud, but everytime I *do* end up in the mud with them, they surprise me.

fubar XJ said:
The only place I'd run Boggers is in, you know, mud bogs. Their drawbacks far outweigh their advantages in every other terrain. Very heavy tire, most sizes are too wide for factory XJ axles without giving up turning radius or ridiculous amounts of wheel/spacer backspacing. Prone to snapping axles due to their heavy, grabby nature, they ride like ass on the street, sidehill slip like a mofo, dig to China in the snow, jump around like a crackhead on a three day binge under power on rock or packed dirt, just not a good all-around tire.

But run what you like, your experience may differ.

every hill in florida is an old mine it and are clay, int the moning it is slick as hell and if it rains it is slick as hell for days and since it rains everyday its always slick as hell. so you need a tire that can clean itself. they work great in every postion in the south east...

thanks for all the input guys! I just called to order 5 mt/r's and was told that they were out of them because goodyear got a military contract for the humvee tires. I called a local tire shop and desert rat. just when I decide on a tire ;) I guess I'll have to shop around a bit

Discount tire can usually have them for me in 24 hours, but never has them in stock.

Markos said:
Your friends MTRs should never touch desert plant life...

There is a huge amount of people in AZ running MTR's. Most seem pleased, bu there are quite a few sidewall incidents...

I agree. Tread lightly and the plants won't take vengeance

I have a friend competing in W.E. Rock on Creepy Crawlers and they do very well. However my brother is running them on his ZJ and they are wearing out quickly but he is on the street alot. I have had BFG Krawlers (35x13.50x15 on an 8"inch wheel) on my YJ for about 5 years and they see the street alot as well as the rocks and they have never let me down. I run 12 psi all the time and have never even had a flat. I can't believe how long they are lasting. I have Mickey Thompson MTZs (33s) on my XJ and have been very happy with them but when they wear out I will be going up to Krawlers.They are expensive but worth every penny. BTW i'm running Maxxis Bighorns on my powerstroke. I like them but they are wearing quickly but what can you expect on a diesel.

Just my .02

Back