• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

If I turbocharged my Renix would it live?

wookieintheforest

NAXJA Forum User
LIke the title says I have been in the process of turbocharging my Renix since I had all the stuff laying around from other projects. I was wondering if anyone was interested in this build? The guys at work think i am insane but, the jeep was free and all the turbo stuff was just sitting in my barn so...why not?

Hopefully some people have some interest since i don't want to waste anyone's time. Anyone interested in my project?

dave b

Why not indeed? I'll follow your progress, I know of at least half a dozen other Renix junkies that will be interested also.

You have peaked my interests, is this just a thought at the moment or a work in progress?

It is nearly a driving vehicle at this point on the stock pos electronics. 3 psi is all it can do without a RRR, which I hate, so I am waiting on a MS3x to arrive so I can do this properly. Tonight I am gonna trouble shoot the now not working left turn signal so it will pass inspection.
As for pics can I upload to this site or do I have to find a host?

It is nearly a driving vehicle at this point on the stock pos electronics. 3 psi is all it can do without a RRR, which I hate, so I am waiting on a MS3x to arrive so I can do this properly. Tonight I am gonna trouble shoot the now not working left turn signal so it will pass inspection.
As for pics can I upload to this site or do I have to find a host?

Make a free account on imgur.com.

Engine management will be the key. With the Renix setup at least there is code written to use the 60-2-2-2 trigger wheel with megasquirt unlike the HO setup. I haven't had a chance to mess with MS3x yet so i'll be watching this thread. We're still running MS1 on the turbo XJ-R

I already have a wideband installed ( an old plx) and late model HO injectors since the stockers were leaking. Lots of other mods so a list then?

Modified stock exhaust manifold using leftovers from a Titan build
Holset turbo
A1000 regulator
-10 bungs on the rail ( must verify) ugly brazing but no leaks
Walbro 255 in tank
Modified stock tb and bracket that is temporary
Turbo dodge coil since the oem one died
Booster upgrade and lines
Track bar
Budget 2 in with bastard and shims with a d35(I know)
Boost gauge

More to come since I am forgetting alot. Tons of silly stuff

I really need to build a turbo 2wd mj!

Engine management will be the key. With the Renix setup at least there is code written to use the 60-2-2-2 trigger wheel with megasquirt unlike the HO setup. I haven't had a chance to mess with MS3x yet so i'll be watching this thread. We're still running MS1 on the turbo XJ-R

Oddly enough it is when i saw the pics of your modded exhaust manifold is what finally kicked me into gear. You confirmed what i had suspected: That the stock manifold COULD be used. Although mine is odder than most.

Last night I did get the left turn working. It was a pushed out pin in the bulkhead connector. So I got it insured today and will get the registration done tomorrow. Fab up a chitty and cheap exhaust and get it inspected on saturday if time allows.

Now keep in mind guys that this pos is about eight pounds of ugly in a two pound sack. It was not built to look good, just to get the job done. Besides it adds more insult when it looks chitty.:eek:

Total out of pocket so far? @ 1500. Mostly in tires and the MS3x. The rest was hog trading or leftovers.

dave b

Our manifold is made out of complete garbage. It’s a mix of Renix manifold, basketball hoop post, an old crushed 440 header, and an ebay T3 flange. I’m surprised it and lasted this long. You could always weld together a bunch of crap like we did or cut everything off the flange and use some weld elbows. If we didn’t have a tight budget I’d just buy boostwerks manifold and be done with it.

Also when building the manifold pay attention to how high the turbo is mounted. Too high and it hits the intake and too low and you will have trouble with the oil drain line.

What are you going to run for injectors? We’re using 36 lbs from a GM supercharged 3800 with a stock fuel pump.

Definitely interested in seeing all of this, mostly the MS3x setups.

I'm running MS2 on a v3.57 board to control my 440 (six pack intake with 3 GM TBI units running low impedence injectors).

As for the manifold it is a re-inforced stock renix unit with mandrel bent pieces that loop up and under the motor mount. The t3 flange is roughly beside the ps pump. This is the only fitment that could clear this turbo since the compressor housing is so large. I TIG 'd everything myself with a miller that a picked up from a crackhead type neighbor and taught myself how to weld. Ugly but functional. Suspension can fully compress with no issues on the jack stands.

And as stated above Walbro 255 in tank easy mod

As for injectors , currently second gen stock HO and then SRT 4 stage 2 will be installed. 568cc I believe

e3cV3dF.jpg

oh7fvMm.jpg

pjABAW8.jpg

What is that turbo off of?

Back