• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identify my Transfer Case

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Well I was told that this was a '94 242 out of an XJ with 70K miles on it that I stole for $60... I am looking online for pics and crap and I am not seeing the obvious differences.

The tag for it has fallen/rotted off so I took some pics for the XJ Gurus to diagnose...

NP242Rebuild001.jpg

NP242Rebuild002.jpg

NP242Rebuild003.jpg

NP242Rebuild004.jpg

Photo 5:
What is that 4 prong thing? Is that for the dash light? And what is that misc. bolt with the rusty washer screwed half way into the case?
NP242Rebuild005.jpg

NP242Rebuild006.jpg

NP242Rebuild007.jpg

And my trusty helper!

NP242Rebuild008.jpg

Ok here is the biggest noob question... WHERE does the shifter linkage bolt up!? I flipped the case end over end and don't see where the hell it goes!?

I'm assuming that bolt 12pt bolt is the one every bitches about when dropping the tcase? I don't know why those bolts are missing from the input shaft "cover" Are they anything special or will normal hex heads work fine? I'm missing one stud... and one of the mounts has some plastic thing stuck in it that I am not sure of...

looks like my 231, but iirc the 242 looks very similar but i think its a 231

That is your shifter linkage!
NP242Rebuild005.jpg

I'm no expert but the bolt hanging out with the washer on it is where the lever is bolted to. The 4 prong thing I believe is for the front axle shift fork but not sure.

The shift lever goes on the rusty bolt with the washer on it. The 4 prong thing is a vacuum switch to activate the front disconnect axle. I think. Which would make it a 231. Unless I'm wrong. It's happened before.

Darn it. Some one beat me to it.

How many bolts does the tail shaft housing have? I believe if its got 5 you have a 231 and if its 4 you have the 242.

its a 231.

The 4-prong thing is the vacuum being supplied when you shift it to 4wd.

Although thats not where the 4prong thing is on my '91 231.

XJ ANDY said:
How many bolts does the tail shaft housing have? I believe if its got 5 you have a 231 and if its 4 you have the 242.
nevermind

yea... that was my bad, I was going to post SYE info but now it is kind of pointless since it is the wrong case anyway :shhh:

Whats up with the Straps on the front output of that thing... thats where the CV bolts up... whaaaaaat.

Looks like some one randomly threw them on... you bought that thing from a moron

That yoke is threaded for caps which means it isn't a CV yoke. Unless someone went to a bit of trouble to tap the yoke but it doesn't look that way looking at the bolts (which would be larger then normal).

As I stated it is probably from a YJ. I believe they are clocked a little higher then the XJ 231 so you may have some issues there, also as shown they don't have a CV front driveshaft so that may be a problem.

Back