• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I need to get the spare outside...

jbt114

NAXJA Forum User
I need a little more room inside my 89 XJ so I can carry more fishing stuff. I'd like to put the spare tire, 235-75-R15, outside without spending big money on bumpers and such. I have a Surco Safari rack mounted but I don't want the tire on the roof, it would intefere with the rod holders.

I would consider buying a bumper set-up if the price was right. I've seen the tire carriers that were offered by Jeep as an option back when, but their hard to find and I'm not sure of the quality.
I have a 2" receiver in the rear, but I think anything there would intefere with the rear hatch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

I feel your pain man. I only have 31's but I didn't have room for the spare b/c I have all of my gear back there. I have a Surco rack. I ended up throwing the tire up there and securing it. If I fish alone I usually just throw the rod inside in an awkward way to keep it straight. If I have my dog or girl or just more rods, then I will strap them to the Surco with some velcro strips. I know what you're probably talking about with the rod mounts and you might not have a ton of room. My only suggestion would be to go with the rear bumper or maybe make one/have one made that simply slides into the hitch and then has a vertical piece going up that you can mount the spare to. Some youngin' in high school just made one and showed it off recently and it was functional. Good luck and tight lines.

P.S. You get any Stripers on a fly up there or do you spin?

You could put a couple of 1x2's alonge the headliner. They need to be notched so they fit on top of the trim. They work well to keep your rods secure. I know this dosent answer your question about the tire carrier but it addresses any concerns about your fishing rods when you have a dog or passengers in your jeep. Happy fihhing.

Fly rods are 9 foot or longer so the only way they go inside is diagnolly. Most of the time mine are outside the vehicle but when all the people from the Springs and Denver come out to play on the weekends, the roads around the hot spots get dusty and so they come inside. I'm anal that way. Good idea though. I used to keep four spinning rods and a baitcaster inside in a similar way that you described when I was in St. Louis.

This flyrod thing is way off topic. So...I've been fly fishing with my Dad since I was little. Why dont you get a flyrod storage tube to protect your rod? Then you can break it down and off you go. Maybe you are doing a lot of driving between spots or something and don't want to break it down.....

My vote is for a tire carrier. That 235 will fit in the stock location too.

Blah blah blah..

Well there Pass...what started out as spare location discussion, kind of turned into a fishing rod location discussion between fellow anglers. Hijack...perhaps. Although I don't feel bad about it b/c I did offer some decent input. I'm well aware of rod tubes. I have numerous ones. You hit the nail on the head when you talked about driving to different locations. Surely your dad taught you the importance of working the water?

Thanks for the replies... but, I have a Surco rack on the roof with Barrecrafter ski racks for the rods, which are 9',10' and 11' long. I also have a 4 tube set-up on the front. So, rod storage is not an issue here. Just looking to put the spare outside for more interior room without spending a fortune.

Thanks,

Chris

If you just want a cheap way, look at buying or making something like this:
spare_tire_carrier.jpg

It would mean having to remove the whole thing from your receiver to open the rear end, but it would be cheap. Plus with only a 235 on it it'll be pretty light anyway. And if you make it yourself or get someone to make it you can modify the design to swing down or to the side. There are quite a few like that on the market, but the more complex you get, the more expensive. Try a search for them and you'll see what I mean.

That's exactly what I was talking about. Good find.

Back