• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I am one with electrifying my xj

Kego814

NAXJA Forum User
So once upon a time i bought LED fog lights and ran them sloppy on a circuit with a relay and a switch. Well merry christmas to me. I bought a lightbar off ebay (hold your opinions) and I'm going to clean up the wiring... a lot.

So I went to prime4x4 and got me a 7 switch ashtray plate and back to ebay for some generic rocker switches. I didnt care a whole lot about the quality of switch because i didnt plan on running voltage through it, i was going to use a ground circuit to trigger my relay. That plan changed for the sake of ease of installation and the need for power at the switch to power the built in LED.

Moving on! I hustled over to the Zone and grabbed black 18ga, white 18ga and a box of 14ga quick connects. Went home and dug up a 10ish foot cat 5 cable. Following the provided schematic with the switches, this is where i ended up.

Maybe tomorrow I'll hack up a late 90s xj relay box if i can get to the bone yard. Otherwise that'll be later in the week. Stay tuned kiddies.

Last edited:
1c7057ff5f4ecb81cf07bfaded690c10.jpg

Switches are in.

Fuse boxes are not as cheap as I'd hoped lol.

cb8a1bf26631d4b47514416e8a4ba598.jpg

Light bar is mounted and not wired in. I'm looking for a clean solution to bring the wires inside so I can get them to my future fuse box. I'm open to suggestion and pictures.

Check this thread. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=938344

The Fitch box is a great way to build your own fuse/relay box. I followed a similar formula and it works great. Some of the initial post links are dead, as is fitchva's website, but if you read the thread you can find the information you need.

I wish the pics in that thread still worked.

Doing this myself and feel like I'm flying blind

That's what I thought but it's not clean enough for me. I like clean and neat

It's the nature of the beast if you are adding aftermarket stuff. If you do it right next to the inside of the bracket you could run the wires behind the a pillar plastic cover down to the dash and go from there.

That's what I thought but it's not clean enough for me. I like clean and neat

Use a firewall grommet, made for this purpose.
http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performa.../10002/-1?parentProductId=1321259#moreDetails
http://www.summitracing.com/search/...Default&SortOrder=Ascending&autoview=SKU&ar=1

These are good as they allow for future expansion. When cutting the hole, in the grommet's tip, keep the hole small and snug, to seal better.
Seals-it also has a wide range of seals.
http://www.sealsit.com/grommet-seals.html

Then there is the ordinary rubber grommet, found in the electrical department of Lowes or HD. It does need to be sealed, when the wiring is complete.
I use soft electrical duct seal, it's water tight and can be easily removed, as future accessories more wiring. Other sealants would be fine too.

Run the wires and cover them with split plastic tubing, secured with short pieces of electrical tape or zip ties, after the wiring is complete and tested.

If that isn't good enough, start looking at marine-grade wire through-fittings.

I'm actually fine with using an xj fuse box. In fact I'd prefer it. But I am still looking for info on getting light bar wires inside the car

I'm not a big fan of all the wire splicing needed to run a second factory fuse box. The fitch box isn't a perfect solution either but it beats buying $200+ accessory box from the aftermarket.

For the light bar wiring there really isn't much choice there. Either run it like you already have or drill through the body.

You guys have obviously never installed a led light bar if your recommending drilling holes for the wiring...

Run it down the windshield mouldign. It fits fine inside the newer style.

Have my lightbar wires running under the winshield molding and it works mint , not sure what the big deal is .

Back