• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid-exo cage questions and a possible "project thread"

Consider a 1" Brace for the B Pillar, tied into your sliders. It allows the doors to open and close, but adds a lot of extra strength. Space it out from the pillar by 1.75" for the door swing.

A cage like his runs about $1000 plus tubing. He also has rocker replacements to that the cage ties to, which are $400 installed (including materials) for Naxja Red members, $500 installed for non members.

Ohhh damn now if I hit the lottery i'm there! :D

theres a b pillar section inside that ties into both the roof, and rocker replacements, has a lower crossbar and harness bar.... its a sweet cage

Anything C or D pillar? Like this...

DSCF0055.jpg

John D, do you have anymore pics of where the cage bolts through the roof, inside and outside? Also did you use any sort of gasket or rtv to make it watertight?

John D, do you have anymore pics of where the cage bolts through the roof, inside and outside? Also did you use any sort of gasket or rtv to make it watertight?

DSCF0053.jpg

This is the best one I have, I have nothing from the inside (headliner is installed now). It is not hard to imagine though. There is a plate on top of the roof and one under the roof at the top of the B, C and D pillar bars and 4 bolts at each point. I used RTV to help seal it, so far no leaks.

DSCF0053.jpg

This is the best one I have, I have nothing from the inside (headliner is installed now). It is not hard to imagine though. There is a plate on top of the roof and one under the roof at the top of the B, C and D pillar bars and 4 bolts at each point. I used RTV to help seal it, so far no leaks.
Figured it was probably pretty straight forward. What size are the plates (length, width and thickness) and how hard was it to match the shape of the roof on them? Thanks

I am not sure what other people have done, but I used 1/8'' and around a 4'' x 4'' plate. Where I did mine, I could leave them flat and I welded mine to the roof. I figured a weld will not only tie the plate and cage into the body better than bolts, but it will also seal the holes.

Please forgive the shitty welds and lack of paint.
013-2.jpg

Edit: Looking at that picture, it looks more like a 3x3 plate. Its cold outside and Im lazy, so a guesstimation will have to do. For reference that is a 1-3/4 tube going through it.

Here's mine as a bone stock starter:

Cimg3609.jpg

Cimg3778.jpg

Crappy pic of the interior, including my dog's breakfast and mine:

Cimg4046.jpg

Most recent trip to the Rubicon, with additional C-pillar (aft) floor cross bracing:

109.jpg

I wanted to make this a "do everything well" kind of rig, camping in it for up two weeks at a time, while still being able to fit 5 people in a pinch. Here's a pic from this Summer, enjoying a hangover and breakfast burrito:

DSC00215.jpg

Exterior pics. The 'Top Hat' being put to work on Upper Helldorado:

192.jpg

With some familar friends:

304.jpg

203.jpg

Doing it's job (it escaped with a minor ding in the door):

292.jpg

Where I wheel most of the time (and frankly, everywhere I can imagine), a full exo is nothing but a rock/tree anchor. It may save you some body damage, but the chance of it getting hung up on said rock/tree and causing more damage is higher than without (IMHO).

-----Matt-----

As far as the cage price... that doesn't mean it has to be just like Jarrad's, it can vary. He wanted a full exo, so thats what we did. If you wanted the b,c, and d pillars inside instead of out, we could do that too for the same price. You don't need pillar supports inside and out, just one or the other. He chose outside, so thats what he got. As far as going through the roof... I personally like the bolting with a plate on top and bottom. I feel that it works better than welding b/c you don't put stress points in the metal like you do when you weld to it. I have seen sheet metal crack at the edge of welds from stresses, but the bolts/clamp design seems to grip onto all of the mertal between the 2 plates, instead of just around the edges. Leaking has never been an issue either, I just be sure to put silicone around the holes before the cage is set on, and I also put a bead around the plate too, just for good measure.

By the way, I am now officially a NAXJA sponsor. My blue name is Rock Solid Fab, but it is awaiting activation. I am also working on an advertisement banner that will be up in a few days.

Back