• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid Cage Build With passengers in Mind!

Killer job dude. I am digging it.

OK Folks! Today I had no work and was able to get in about 4 hours of fab work. I got the C pillar rear diagonal bars down to Rear D floor Plate right above shackle box area. Installed the C pillar cross bar. I added some gussets at the C pillar diag bar and at the C pillar wheel well plate. The rear C pillar down/diagonal bars to D floor plates fit perfect, they angle out to the sides of the body a little, doesnt effect gear storage. I still havent added B pillar seat belt bar yet, need to get the fenders back on and fix a headlight switch that just quit on me the other night. I got My order from Jegs and test fitted some Grey roll bar pad and fits perfect. Also gonna be doing my headliner in Grey Snow Camo. Kids said lets do it!

Last edited:
Installed the putco headlight wiring harness and was a easy install and really made a different. Low beams seem like the high beams. Got front fenders cut up for the A pillar bars, had to take about 1/8 inch off gusset on driver side. I had the gusset very high and went to outside edge of bar. The fender starts curving and that where you had fit issue. If I would of just had gusset go to center of A pillar and to cowl there would not been an issue. One more thing checked off my list

Nice really clean work John. I love this cage.

What bender did you use? I like how close to the top you got with it, very tight.

Are you going to put in some cross brace? Some triangulation side to side? Front to back looks good but a side roll at speed might not hold up as well.

I used Jd bender model 32 4.5 radius 180 degree die for 1.5 inch tube. As of right now I have cross braced
the C Pillar and A Pillar upper gusset will act like a cross brace.
I will be adding B pillar cross bar just high enough to clear someones knees if sitting in back seat. Leaving width of center console open so from about inside edge of both front seats, will have diagonal bar to roof area of B Pillar bar. Strongest would be center of seat belt bar for diagonal, but want opening at console, Just incase I had to climb thru and get kids out of seats in a hurry.

John it looks amazeballs... I just gutted mine today got the air/hydro set up and ready to bump out some more bends. Debating on risking the headliner and just leaving it in like eric did. Although he burned it a bit in a spot. I've seen some guys had to chop up their headliner into 3 pieces. Have you managed to get yours back in yet?

I havent even tried to put my headliner back in. I know at B pillars there will be no issues with only
little bit of trimming. C pillars are not as close ton outside of body, and not sure if I
will beable to slide it all in without breaking. I guess I need to try soon.
its on my list for next week, now

Its freakin perfect!

Got my seat belt bar bent and tacked in. Kept it on the low side, but i can sit in back seat and still have plenty of knee room. Working on the diagonals to top of B pillar, need to keep them away from the Head. Still figuring out the angles and shape behind seat and at B pillar junction. I was able to get some C pillar Small Gussets in. I really checked head room with these C gussets. Dont want them too close to any heads. Adults can sit in back and head has plenty of room. I only have 5.75 year old twins but, dang time flys.

Added some Roof gussets, they will add a little bit of strength but main purpose is for Tie downs or bungieStrap. I always have dufflebags and the PETT toilet system on the roof. These are perfect size for ratchet straps hooks and when you go to the other side to secure they will not fall out of the Hole. I hate that! I had a few spider web gussets so I put those at the back.
Also tried to install my headliner, to check the fit and notch. The headliner will not go back in without breaking in half. I think I will be installing in sections and then installing new snow camo fabric after its back in. Thats the last thing on my list.

Well still working on my B pillar diagonal braces. Need them away from head and enough room behind headrest for seat flex. Soon, I hope. So decided to finish up my B pillar under floor plates. Underside is so uneven due to stock floor pan. I wanted a tight fit and spread the load as much as I could. Plasma cut a crazy shape to fit just right, drill holes and run my tube Gusset over to the Ruff stuff frame stiffeners. I think it will do the job just right...

very clean ! I dig it man!

Back