• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to tell when blowby is more than the ccv problem?

well,I cleaned the ccv system today,and it was totally clogged,so that may help the blowby some,but I started the engine and let it run for awhile because I also changed the oil.About 3 minutes after the engine was running,it started blowing blue smoke pretty good. So I would say the valve seals are shot. I was going to just get the head redone,but the engine is VERY dirty and gummed up in the rocker arm area and inside the valve cover,so I am thinking that the lower half of the engine is just as dirty. I am just going to wait awhile and swap in the spare 96 with fairly low miles that I have been wondering what to do with. thanks for the help everyone who helped.

Before you write the engine off, drive the heck out of it. Now that the CCV system is clear, you might be sucking up residual oil through the rear orifice directly into the intake manifold causing your blue smoke. Did you clean inside the valve cover too? If you did, did you put the deflectors back? If you didn't that might be a cause of your blue smoke too.

Later,
Joe

There could still be oil all over the intake tubing and such, and still getting sucked down, even after cleaning out the CCV. Give it a while. As well, pulling the valve cover and inspecting can't hurt, maybe something is clogging up under there.

I haven't done valve guide seals on jeep engines, I've done it on V-6's and other engines, I'm guessing the Jeep Engine would be even easier than most, but don't really know. You just need a simple tool to compress the valve springs, that can often be improvised or rented, and an air compressor with a spark plug adapter, it can be done in a single afternoon on most engines.

I will give it awhile. The valve cover was spotless,I used the one off the 96 engine on my 92,nad it looked brand new on the inside.

Ecomike said:
From what I have read here in an oem forum thread recently switching to a PCV valve system can makes things worse. It would also probably cause high, low, and variable idle speed problems.
Hmmm, that doesn't make sense, "right off", the PCV is a one way check and flow metering valve. It only lets air flow at a certain rate, automatically varies itself as conditions change and stops back flow.

I guess the PCV is more tailored toward each individual engine than I thought. So if you were going to retro-fit a PCV system to your motor, you'd be forced to guess and grab a PCV Valve from the store shelf, that would be for any engine. Perhaps that was the problem, the PCV Valve they tried didn't have the right properties for the particular motor.

Just a guess, because at first glance the CCV system on the Jeeps looks no different than a PCV system on any other egnine, except an Orifice is used instead of a PCV Valve.

Who knows, maybe the Engine Computer wasn't programmed to deal with the slight difference in vacuum that would come from the PCV Valve as opposed to a constant difference from the Orifice.

I have the same situation as the original poster...but i think i found my link, the tube going from the valve cover to the air box was leaking, but i have a lot of oil in my air box, and when i accelerate with the pedal more than half-way down, i loose vacuum (air only come out of defroster ducts) i have 210k on the engine, and was wondering if it was worth it to tear into the engine?

P.s. Sorry for the hi-jack

?Thats normal, you should loose vacuum when you open the throttle, especially under load, like accelerating.

If your referring to the fact your HVAC goes sorta screwy, sound more like a vacuum leak or problem with the Vacuum Reservoir for just the HVAC. Which when engine vacuum was low, a problem in the vacuum controls for that system would go screwy.

Is the 96 valve cover Aluminum? I went to a Quadratec Valve cover (Crown Automotive). There is a big difference in the 2 of them. My 88 cover had these "tubes" cast into the sides of the cover that ran down to the bottom of the cover. it was like a straw placed down to the oil return holes on top of the head. No wonder it sucked so much oil up. The quadratec cover only has baffles covering the grommets holes. I took and changed the rear and the front ccv lines and it made no difference at all. So I then took off the front cover that was pumping oil into the airbox and put on a valve cover breather on the front. After about 2 miles it was full of oil and leaking oil over everything. So I took it off drove about 2 miles and oil was almost spraying out of the grommet. I was loosing about 2 quarts for every 200 miles I was driving. Once i went to the new cover It stopped. Like I said there were 2 covers over the 2 grommets front and back. The plate is screwed in with 1/4 inch POS wood screws, when I touched one plate the screw FELL OUT OF THE COVER!! So I taped it out with a 8-32 machine screw tap and was able to fix that problem. I feel sorry for anyone who ever put one on with those wood screws in there. I think that if you even put a new stealership cover on there you would have the same problem. One of these days Ill take the old one out and I will get you a good picture of exactly what I'm talkin about. Hope this helps a little. Oh the cover is only 114.00 dilivered and about another 10.00 for the grommets and the tap and screws.
Zan

Back