• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to stow JKS disconnects

dudeinanxj said:
I have JKS sway bar quicker discos and have been wanting an easy way to store them when disconnected. I have seen the other methods with using zip ties, bungee cords and homemade cables, but none of those were what I wanted.

The JKS instructions say that you can use the storage pins on a TJ or XJ/ZJ with OEM front skid, but not to install them if you don't have the skid. But wait, I did!!
I used some materials I had laying around, so it was a free mod per se.

I used some flat steel-1 1/4" wide x 3/16" thick cut to a length of 2 1/8", self drilling stainless screws, and some nuts for the storage pins. I didn't take any measurements, but I'll get it up here later.

Diagram (not to scale):

JKSswaybarbracket.jpg

1. Measure the flat steel to desired length.

2. Drill two 1/4" holes for the screws at the top of the flat steel and one 5/16" hole for the storage pin bolt.

3. Bolt the storage pin to the flat steel. You will need a washer and nut to do this.

4. Place the bracket flush with the bottom of the C4x4 tow hook bracket.

5. Line up the right edge of the bracket to the outer edge of the rear most tow hook bracket mounting bolt.

6. Use some tape to hold the bracket to help with installing the self drilling screws.

7. Install the screws.

8. Remove tape.

The results:

DSC03013.jpg

DSC03017.jpg

*Not tested yet, but there may be contact of the storage pin and tire upon full stuff while turned at full lock. I have 4.75" backspacing and 30x9.50 tire. This will be easy remedied with less backspacing.

One thing to note, you will need to slightly bend the bracket inward to keep the sway bar from hitting the pin or you can let it "adjust" itself like I did. :D

I did this a few years ago. The only problem is when you go bigger and lengthen the disconnects the mounts won't work. Not to big of a deal, just have to move or make new flat pieces.

I just installed the JKS discos on my 97 xj. I do fabrication for a living and plan tomarow to build storage pin brackets simalar to dudeinanxj's brackets, I will post some pics when im done so you can tell me what you think.

I did almost the same thing, but made my bracket with a 90 degree bend, theres a bolt hole right in that same area under the "frame" that put them down and forward slightly.

You can kinda see it here
P1010031.jpg

That storge pin mounted very close to the swaybar. Do you run into any issues with the swaybar hitting the pin when connected. It looks like it would hit...

dudeinanxj said:

Like someone else mentioned, you can mount them to the factory front skid. I struggled to find the 'sweet spot', where the bar wouldn't hit the pin connected, and the tires wouldn't hit the discos while disconnected.

It turns out that when deflated, my tires will quickly pull the lynch pins right off the storage pins. They are a buck or two a pop at Ace, so I try not to lose them. I've found that it's better to just leave the lynch pins off when stowing the swaybar. The discos won't fall off of the storage pins, even if they aren't locked in place.

My setup:
2339921113_f203c60860_b.jpg

Back