• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to restore "Black" to trim?

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 XJ and my fender flares and the body side moldings are discoloring and "gray" looking.

I am trying to find the best stuff to make them black again. I have used a couple brands of silicone but it looks good when applied but never saturates the plastic. When it rains the silicone stuff runs off.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

Yeah, paint it. That's what we do on the used car lot when they get that way.

I used mcguirres or however you spell it. Their rubber and vinly conditioner is the best. An upholstery shop recommended it.
I've been using the stuff for about 6 years.

Try a little 'Westley's White-Wall tire cleaner'. May help if they aren't too bad.

There is a product called Black Again that works great for that. I have also heard of auto detail places using peanut butter...don't laugh, the peanut oil saturates the plastic and restores the black... And all you smart@$$es who are gonna ask creamy or chunky, I would imagine creamy would work better...
:D

SSSSSSSSSPPPPRRRAAAAAAYYYYYYY PPPPAAAIIIINNNNNTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!

(spray paint);)

stoney

Peanut butter??? Wouldn't that attract ants and other bugs? Hows about just spraying on some Peanut oil?

I use Back to Black on the wife's 94 Grand ....

If you paint them your going to need to add some flex agent to the paint. If you flex the flare without it, it will crack. Eastwood sales all kinds of products for that type of job.

Anybody tried that Krylon krap that is supposed to bond with plastic? Made for lawn furniture, might do ok for a flare.

juicexj24 said:
If you paint them your going to need to add some flex agent to the paint. If you flex the flare without it, it will crack. Eastwood sales all kinds of products for that type of job.

no way i do it all the time never had the paint chip on me with spray paint???????

stoney

I'm redoing my whole interior with that "Krylon Crap" and it's actually called Krylon Fushion. It works on plastic, metal, glass, wood, ect. It's basicly a non-prep paint. And yes it WORKS FANTASTIC. I'd send some pics but i'm not done yet. I know there's another guy somewhere in these forumns that did it to his flares and he put a uv protectant spray over it. But i only spent $10 and i just changed my whole interior color from gray to black on all the plastic, vinyl, and metal.

yep, krylon fusion. I bought an old faded set of TJ flares, wiped them with down with paint thinner to clean them up, and sprayed. That was about six months ago. They still look new. The rubber trim was a faded grey and did not match the flares so I did the same thing to them too.

mine got that way and i tried some real expensive color restore from the body shop i work at and it lasted for about 2 days, my easy fix was to toss em and start hackin

Try scott's liquid gold furniture polish. I did it on my CJ and the shine came back and stayed for a couple of years.
Tom

Napa sells trim black stuff and it works pretty good.Also tire dressing gell, Mcguire or what ever works well if the flares are not too badly faded. If bad try spray paint with flex agent like every one has suggested.

Rust Check makes a rubberized rocker protector - I just used some on my rear bumper and rockers. It's flexible and coats well. I sprayed down the front tow-hooks and the overspray landed on my air dam...now I'm thinking of spraying the whole air-dam as the spots look good. Kind of dull/shiny (if that makes sense).

If you didn't know to look for the overspray spots, you wouldn't notice it. not sure how it'll work long-term or in long UV exposure situations, but for $8.99(CDN) for the can, I got both rockers done, inside the door jams and the entire rear bumper, so one can should coat everything you need done.

I bought it at Canadian Tire in the Auto Body section.

Back