• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black Box Beneath Dash?

DonQuiXJote

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I've been dealing with some PITA P0740 code for a bit now and I was trying to check the solenoids through the TCM (fool's errand) when I noticed a black plastic box had broken off its zip tie and its ground was disconnected. This is in a 2000 XJ I got from Florida which had previously been a municipal vehicle, so I'm guessing its some sort of aftermarket doodad they had installed at some point that they just disconnected before selling it. Any ideas on what it is? I highlighted the box all the wires going through it in red and circled the ground wire and where I think it snapped off. Thanks!

Image:

https://ibb.co/hCFsWPk

OK, so after wiggling around a bit more than my bones would like, I got a peek at the back which had a sticker labeling it "TREMCO Computer Safe" which seems to be an anti-theft system. Since all the material I can turn up on it seems outdated or advertising, my followup question is whether or not this is of any use to me at all. I'm assuming if I were to hook the ground back up, I'd need to press or engage some kind of switch or button (which I have failed to discover after preliminary searching, though it may be tucked behind the panel the hood release latch comes out through) along with the brake pedal to shift it out of park?

Is there a way to contact Tremco and ask them? Or are they long gone?

Is there a way to contact Tremco and ask them? Or are they long gone?

I poked around their website and products and it looks to be disengaged by a foot pump the PO must have thrown out, there's a little gasket on the back of the box where the air hose would go. I can't find the pump sold separately so I'm just gonna tuck it back in with some fresh zip ties in case one day down the line I decide to install one either for the shift lock or rewiring it for some other purpose.

Back