• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to convince parents...Help Please

usna61

NAXJA Forum User
So, I'm trying to convince my parents that I should be able to lift my '01 XJ sport, and they're worried about the safety of the vehicle once I put a lift on it. I'm currently thinking about a 3" lift with 31" BFG ATs or a 4.5" lift with 33" BFG ATs. What should I say to them to assuage their fears about the rollover risks associated with lifting a jeep. If anyone has any links related to this topic, feel free to post them, or email me at [email protected].
Thanks in advance for your help.

Also, other than the lift kit and tires, what else would I need to do to make the jeep trail and road safe.

Dont do it, keep your Jeep stock.

Once you start modifying parts thats when things start to fail and break. Especially if you use your XJ off road.

My .02: Keep your Jeep stock until you have the ability to make your own decision whether or not you want to lift it.

You can tell them that "there's this guy who's 56 on NAXJA (that'd be me), married with 4 adult kids who has his Jeep lifted 3.5" with 11.5" wide tires". It's the best of my vehicles. I know every corner of it, it's just a hobby for me. The width of the tires offsets the height of the lift. Higher lift, wider stance.

However, if your thinking that once you have a big ass lifted Jeep it does not mean that you're invincible. Most kids (statistically) blast around in their cars like they're bullet proof. Show your folks that you are a responsible driver, know how to operate the Jeep with respect for what it is. It's not a race car and it can't climb trees. It CAN be dangerous.

The XJ as it sits, stock, is still a very capable 4X4. With some slightly larger aggressive tires you can pretty much go where you want. So if you just want to do it to make it a chick magnet, meh!!

Not to mention the learning experience you will get in wrenching on it, discussing the work here or on other forums and PAYING for it. You may even want to involve your Dad if he is mechanically inclined. Keep it clean and well maintained and eventually you may get what you want.

I'd much rather have my kid in a lifted Jeep (done right) than some drifting ricer. Take it from a different angle.

You should be perfectly fine with a 3" suspension lift and 31's. Not much of a difference than stock. If you do decide to go higher however, you need to start thinking about drive shafts, SYE, etc.

I let my kid and grandkid use mine..As you can see she is having a great time..If you drive over the jeeps limits it is going to roll..Take your time on doing a lift, i ran mine for a year before i did mine..Like said before, take your parents out for some lite offroading trip..Have fun with it
Keriandaly.jpg

You can improve your stocker a bit by going to a 30" tyre - you lose some articulation doing it without a lift, but you gain some clearance under the axles. It's a trade-off.

As far as "rollover risk" - given a properly designed vehicle, that's more a function of the driver than of the vehicle - and a skilled driver can compensate (I used to play bumper tag with a boss years ago. He drove his 30th Anniv Camaro, I in my 1987XJ 3"/31's. At no time did any of my tyres leave the pavement, nor did I break traction, and I did some truly inspired driving to keep up with him...) As long as you don't get stupid with your driving, you'll be fine.

If they keep harping on "rollover risk," know this - I once saw a man roll over a Corvette on a winding road - even a low-slung road car isn't immune. I was walking down the side of the road, he blew past me, and rolled over right in front of me on the next turn.

I couldn't help myself - before I did anything, I crouched down and said, "I bet you feel really stupid right about now..." Called in the SVA, figured the car would be totalled (it was,) and reported unknown injuries (turned out there was some slight internal bleeding from blunt impact, but nothing that was life-threatening on scene. No grievous ruptures - some bruised organs and a bit of "weeping" of blood on the inside.)

3" and 31's is a good combination for the XJ - and if you're going to spend time on the trails and such, your "road kit" will help ballast you anyhow. You get into rollover territory when the centre of gravity (CoG) of your rig gets outside of your "footprint" (rectangle bounded by the contact patches of your four tyres) - keeping your weight (vertically) low in the vehicle helps keep your CoG low (reducing rollover risk,) and keeping all four tyres on the ground and not getting too far off-camber will keep your CoG inside your footprint (reducing rollover risk.) You keep all four tyres on the ground by not trying to zip around corners and such, not hitting bumps at speed, and obvious stuff like that. The only time you're probably going to get off-camber enough for it to be a problem would be if you were to get into 'technical crawling,' at which point you're pretty much required to have a roll cage anyhow. And you'd be travelling at very low speeds (10mph or less.)

Stay with the stock height, do some fender triming and bump up to a 30 or a 31" tyre. But like most have said the height of the jeep is not the safty issue its the drivers ability, the parts that were used, and the installation.

You should listen to your parents.

Mine wouldn't let me get a lifted Jeep at age 16. Looking back, I think it was for the best. When you get older and have money to blow, do whatever you want. I'm assuming they paid for the Jeep.

If you lift an 01' shouldn't you also invest into a SYE and a custom driveshaft?

NO.... When you get into the 3.5 - 4" range (depending on vibration), you will need either a t-case drop or and SYE /drive shaft.

I've owned 3 XJ's with 3" of lift and never had any problems (no sye / tcase drop / longer drive shaft)

NO.... When you get into the 3.5 - 4" range (depending on vibration), you will need either a t-case drop or and SYE /drive shaft.

I've owned 3 XJ's with 3" of lift and never had any problems (no sye / tcase drop / longer drive shaft)

Perhaps (my 1987 didn't have an SYE or anything,) but I am given to understand that the later versions have a longer tailshaft on the transfer case, and therefore get "up into vibes" sooner than earlier ones.

That change was, I believe, around 1997 or so.

ive got an idea. start with a 1" spacer lift. watch ebay for a cheap set of coil spacers. if theyre 2" cut them in half with a hack saw. blocks will be fine for the time being in the rear. you shouldnt even need new shocks. your parents probably wont even notice. leave the 1" on for a while then go to 2". save for a set of 31s to fill the wheel wells when the 2" goes on and your parents will think all the lift isfrom the tires.

If you are a responsible driver, who cares about the other people that ride with you and those people that share the roads with you I will give you the secret to gaining your parents permission to lift your XJ.

tell your parents that you need new leafs and shocks. Show them some dealer prices then show them the price of a mid range lift which might actually be cheaper. That or just listen to your parents

hehe when i did my lift(got it use on craigs list for 150) and 31 at the same time almost no one could tell the differnace just looking at it. i had to take them to a parking lot and park next a stock jeep hehe

Unless you've already wrenched on a lot of vehicles, and have a lot of money to spend, you're way better off to keep it stock for a while. Any SUV type vehicle already has a tendecy to roll over easier than a car. Experience driving in ice and rain help, which takes time. Tires and maybe a locker make more difference than anything as far as off road prowess. Don't forget too, gas will be back up to $4.50 a gallon someday, and it's pretty tough to beat stock for gas mileage. Put in a cool stereo and upgrade the headlights.

Back