• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

ok, you got me there. If I had a chance to see KMFDM or Rammstein in concert in the US, I'd probably pay dearly.

Did I miss the Dyno numbers, I have been looking forward to them :D.

Bryson...i decide to go for AEM FIC but i need some help to install and tune...you have some programm or setup ready?

please give me a hand with my home project...

Thanks

JP

Did I miss the Dyno numbers, I have been looking forward to them :D.

Still havn't had time yet. We are however getting a new camera tomorrow so at least I'll be able to get some videos. :guitar:

Bryson...i decide to go for AEM FIC but i need some help to install and tune...you have some programm or setup ready?

please give me a hand with my home project...

Thanks

JP

Sent ya a PM man.

How does the new power compare to a supercharged 4.0? I drive a Subaru WRX, so I can appreciate what a turbo can do for my little 2.0 boxer engine. I'm curious to see the dyno numbers. Did you do a cost analysis between setting it up with a turbo versus setting it up with a supercharger?

X2

How does the new power compare to a supercharged 4.0? I drive a Subaru WRX, so I can appreciate what a turbo can do for my little 2.0 boxer engine. I'm curious to see the dyno numbers. Did you do a cost analysis between setting it up with a turbo versus setting it up with a supercharger?
X2

I've never driven a supercharged 4.0, so my input is slightly biased. However... superchargers are cool and all, but I'm a fan of a good efficient turbo system. Why?...

- Compressor efficiencies in the 90's compared to most root's style SC's in the 70-80s.
- Vast selection of turbo sizes and manufactures compared to the "1 size fits some" superchargers
- I prefer to keep my A/C
- I prefer to not cut my hood
- I love the power output. Most see turbo lag as a "bad" thing, but it's actually a perfect low load gas saver. Under low load it's possible to attain better than stock gas mileage.

When it comes down to cost analysis, both comparable setups come out to be about the same. However, a turbo setup allows a kit to be peiced together MUCH easier than any supercharger setup. This allows the setup to be built for a price that fits your budget. The first turbo setup I built for my Honda CRX in 2000 ended up costing a little over $1000, and was reliable enough to daily drive for over several years till I decided to upgrade the motor.

And... turbo's are just so damn cool! :cheers:

One:
Are the Turbo manifolds already built and in stock?
or, are they built when ordered? To the point I might be able to go to the WRX or VW market to use a used factory or upgraded Turbo from one of those other cars?

Two:
I will PM you

Turbos are the closest thing to something for nothing you are likely to find. Most folks tend to overlook the HP required to turn a SC. Turbos use what you are throwing away...

Back in 1974, my room mate had a '71 Datsun 240Z, As we were in the Air Force and had access to all sorts of parts..., we installed a turbo from a small aircraft into his Z car. Problem we had to over come was the carburation as we had to build a blow thru system.

With FI, the job is just so much easier. I wonder if there is any advantage to the 99+ manifold under boost conditions. Perhaps a replacement intake may be in order. Have the connection to the blower on the underside with a draw thru TB?

i have a Xj Turbo....my setup is this:

1) turbo GT3582R Twin Scroll (made in Ebay....¡¡¡
2) External WG 46mm
3) 12:1 FMU
4) 27lb ford injectors

and many more things....

the first setup i build i use a Gt3563 real garrett and it was a pretty good...but when i change the turbo the improvement was incredible¡¡¡¡¡

i going to try to upload a video on Youtube...

I'm in the process of a similar manifold based turbo build.I'm fabbing the downpipe and wastegate pipes right now.
I havea question for Bryson.I noticed that the wastgate discharge enters downpipe between two o2 sensor locations. I have a 2000XJ, so I have one more pre cat O2 two install. Is their a need to have wastegate gasses read by the narrow band O2's??

I would like to run a seperate wastegate dumpipe since its easier to fab up and install.This probably wont hAPPEN. I want to maintain A efficient wastgate intergation to downpipe. Problem is were I want to run the wastegate pipe into the downpipe the O2's will be opposite the wastgate gasses. I'm afraid of turbulance screwing up o2 reading.

I'm also curious as to the best location(distance from turbine discharge) for Wideband sensor location??

I'm in the process of a similar manifold based turbo build.I'm fabbing the downpipe and wastegate pipes right now.
I havea question for Bryson.I noticed that the wastgate discharge enters downpipe between two o2 sensor locations. I have a 2000XJ, so I have one more pre cat O2 two install. Is their a need to have wastegate gasses read by the narrow band O2's??

I would like to run a seperate wastegate dumpipe since its easier to fab up and install.This probably wont hAPPEN. I want to maintain A efficient wastgate intergation to downpipe. Problem is were I want to run the wastegate pipe into the downpipe the O2's will be opposite the wastgate gasses. I'm afraid of turbulance screwing up o2 reading.

I'm also curious as to the best location(distance from turbine discharge) for Wideband sensor location??

Before or after doesn't really matter. Think about when the ECU is using the Narrow band sensors under low load. The WG will be closed anyways during this load range thus making the position of the sensor relative to the WG a non issue.

It's more important for a wideband sensor/gauge because it will be sampling accross the entire load range. This is why I have the AEM mounted down stream of the WG.

If possible the wideband should be mounted at least one foot downstream of the turbine.

I'm honestly a fan of non-spliced WG dump tubes due to the increased power ouput/turbine efficencies, but opted for a spliced tube simply because I wanted to keep it emission and noise freindly.

Post up some pics of your setup if you have some! :cheers:

Bryson, this stuff looks awesome. The only question I have is why did you choose to use a blow off valve vs. a diverter valve? It seems that a BOV (while it sounds really cool) just releases useful compressed intake air.

Well guy's I appologize for taking so long to reply to your posts and PMs. Our modem took a crap and had to wait for the new one to arrive. But the good news is that I have some updates!

Bryson, this stuff looks awesome. The only question I have is why did you choose to use a blow off valve vs. a diverter valve? It seems that a BOV (while it sounds really cool) just releases useful compressed intake air.

A diverter valve is really designed for vehicles with a MAF sensor (such as most subaru's and mitsubishi's). Most of these vehicles will get a CEL if a BOV is installed before (or after even) a MAF because the ECU thinks the sensor just failed.

The BOV will only open when the throttle plate suddenly closes so the turbo doesn't surge and destroy it'self. In this case the compressed air is useless anyways. I hope that makes sense?

Well I FINALLY have some video (albeit not that great) to show off...

We had some time earlier this week to go out and mess around, but unfortunetly it was a very windy day so not a lot of the audio came in very well. Enjoy the footage, and stick around for more to come! :firedevil

Standing Burnout. Pretty impressive with 3.55 gears, AW4 trans and 33" muds!:

Idle overview:

Standing start (very unimpressive noise due to the wind)We did however clock the 0-60 time at 5.5 seconds. Pretty damn good for a 5000lb jeep!:

I'll hopefully have more soon with better sound! These videos don't do it any justice of how it sounds.

Back