• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

I'm sure he did.

I've heard of people using towers off superduty trucks too

Ok, I see it now. At first glance something looked amiss and I thought you were showing damage to something that had happened. From the pic, the welds look great.

Hey Bryson,

This might be somewhere in the thread and I've missed it, but where do you purchase all your SS exhaust tubing and pieces?

Scott

Did we ever find and post these? I would love to see these.I am getting ready to build a motor for mine.

Sorry to high jack.

Thank you

Nope not yet. I've been having T-case issues even after a complete rebuild :gonnablow. For some reason I keep nuking the front output bearing in the back half of the case. Unfortunately I just haven't had time or $ to mess with it right now. I've been investing what energy and funds I have left after a 40hr work week to gearing up for my new venture Boostwerks Engineering. We'll have a bunch of cool new XJ stuff to roll out with here soon. Once that is up and running, we'll get this damn thing sorted out and on the dyno.

Other than the T-case, the rig is running great.

Ditto-- I am hoping to have mine on the Dyno in a few weeks :explosion

Awesome! Keep me updated for sure!

Hey Bryson,

This might be somewhere in the thread and I've missed it, but where do you purchase all your SS exhaust tubing and pieces?

Scott

Hey Scott! I use www.acestainless.com for the majority of my work. They have been fantastic to work with.

you most likely have either a driveline angle problem or an unbalanced front driveshaft.

I think your right. When I pulled the DS this last time I noticed the front slip joint had some play. I was planning on swapping the rear housing, the front output bearing, and getting the driveshaft rebuilt. I'll check the angle as well. :cheers:

Two questions. Did you ever get to swapping the wj knuckles? What kind of brown dog motor mounts are those? Do you like them or would you run something else or build your own?

Two questions. Did you ever get to swapping the wj knuckles? What kind of brown dog motor mounts are those? Do you like them or would you run something else or build your own?

Not yet. I started with the rubber mounts, and loved them. However the drivers side mount started to crack due to the heat from the turbo, so I ended up swapping them for poly. They're now a little rough, but I still love the way it feels. I'd recommend the rubber for most street driven rigs however.

If I we're to do it again I'd still get BD, and if you can afford them I'd get the HD block mounts as well. :cheers:

Awesome build. My son and I just finished reading this whole thing. He is all gung ho now wanting to tubo his xj that we just built for his first car. WE both love your wheels very unique. What brand are they.

Sent you a PM a few days ago about the total price of the whole kit but did not hear from you, hopefully you will see this...

just go mine on the road finally-- 4.2 block (bored to 4.3) with a '93 XJ head and 2000 manifold. We are using the MegaSquirt MS3Pro and all the OEM OBD1 sensors w/ a distributorless coil. The manifold, turbo, WG, BOV, and injectors Boostwerks supplied. It is a 2.5" ss exhaust, 92 pump gas.

It is on a 'driveway/neighborhood' tune by a very experienced tuner (IveyTune) and 6 lbs of boost.

All I can say is Holy Sheet!! Who needs a V-8?

It gets dyno-tuned on Thrusday. I can't friggin wait. I'll post my results, if that's ok with you Boostwerks.

Last edited:
just go mine on the road finally-- 4.2 block (bored to 4.3) with a '93 XJ head and 2000 manifold. We are using the MegaSquirt MS3Pro and all the OEM OBD1 sensors w/ a distributorless coil. The manifold, turbo, WG, BOV, and injectors Boostwerks supplied. It is a 2.5" ss exhaust, 92 pump gas.

It is on a 'driveway/neighborhood' tune by a very experienced tuner (IveyTune) and 6 lbs of boost.

All I can say is Holy Sheet!! Who needs a V-8?

It gets dyno-tuned on Thrusday. I can't friggin wait. I'll post my results, if that's ok with you Boostwerks.

Do you have the ability to post a video or two as well?

Back