• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How To: Build your own 4.0L turbo Cummins (Beware...170+ pics)

Logic. Boost works setup is reasonable, I wish the manifulds were less but its really a good price. Turbos are cheap. Tunning is easier than a V8 swap. 220RWHP
Stupid logic.

ummmm... so you aren't going to consider Boostwerks setup because no numbers, not because it's for a 4.0 not an LS6?

I'm not sure of the logic here.

:huh:

A bolt on turbo setup is cheaper and all the engineering has taken place. If it could get me close to what I want I would probably stick with it. Sure, I'm spending 3-4 grand on it, but I'm not pulling my motor and dropping in something else and fabricating stuff to make it fit. Plus, then I still have to tune it!

I was more weighing the options. But then I found out how little it upped the numbers and I was a bit disappointed. I have a good buddy that used to build ls1 motors. Each major change was a trip to the dyno. It wasn't a big deal to do a few dyno runs and get the real numbers.

A bolt on turbo setup is cheaper and all the engineering has taken place. If it could get me close to what I want I would probably stick with it. Sure, I'm spending 3-4 grand on it, but I'm not pulling my motor and dropping in something else and fabricating stuff to make it fit. Plus, then I still have to tune it!

I was more weighing the options. But then I found out how little it upped the numbers and I was a bit disappointed. I have a good buddy that used to build ls1 motors. Each major change was a trip to the dyno. It wasn't a big deal to do a few dyno runs and get the real numbers.

There is a reason why we have no #'s yet. The Auto trans in it's stock form isn't exactly dyno freindly. However that is currently changing as we speak. I'll have more updates here soon.

2013-01-07172548_zps787b5c7e.jpg

What is making the AW4 not dyno friendly?

Many automatics have this issue with a dynometer. Get up to speed to be in third gear(1:1), slam the throttle, and it down shifts to second gear which produces inaccurate results. The gears have to be locked with a manual shifter.

And third is too fast, trying in second and it downshifts to first.

Some updates!

For the past 6 months or so I've been nursing a slipping trans. The stock trans seemed to hold up great over the past couple years until I noticed a slight slip one day on the 1st to 2nd shift. After that it was slipping every time I hit boost. After talking to Chad at Fringe Development, I decided to try out his built trans that he documented here on naxja. Along with the trans I had him build me one of his valve bodies along with the full transgo shift kit. The trans was an OBD1 however, so I did have to do some fab work to make the swap into my 99 which I'll outline in the pictures below. Overall it was pretty straight forward, and the trans has been working great. No slippage and the shifts are nice and firm. 1st gear lock works great as well, and should be fantastic on the trail.

While I was at it, I added a Transdapt filter setup to the cooler circuit mainly for the piece of mind. The tricky part however was trying to find a location for it. With all the turbo stuff and hidden winch setup, there was little to no room in the engine bay so I was forced to go the other direction and place it back near the transfer case. In it's current position it's pretty vulnerable to rocks, but I have a belly skid in the works. In prep for the belly skid, I also clocked up the transfer case a good ~10degs or so using IRO's drill jig. The shift linkage is now even more crap, so I'll be getting novak's linkage kit here soon. I did also have to cut off the casting "ears" of the case to clear the floor pan.

As for the Dyno, Marty pretty much summed up the issues. One solution I've looked into is the radesigns shifter, but it appears the 98's and up will end up getting a CEL. I may end up just fabbing some simple switches to hold 2nd and 3rd gear just for dyno use.

2012-12-29120006_zpsca1b970f.jpg

2012-12-29193001_zps3d89c473.jpg

My 99 had this speed sensor in the front part of the case. The earlier trans unfortunately did not, which meant I had to pull the oil pump and OD planetary to be able to safely drill the case. The case does have tapped threads however for the sensor, so I just needed to drill the through hole. I also needed to swap the clutch pack housing as the late model has a tone ring welded to the outside. This was simple enough, but did require the swapping of the new clutch pack.

2012-12-30120643_zps8205ea09.jpg

2012-12-30120613_zps92af8cc3.jpg

2012-12-30125854_zps302334f7.jpg

2012-12-30125839_zps94459f19.jpg

2012-12-30123643_zps04122e3e.jpg

2012-12-30123558_zps21a31214.jpg

The tail shaft speed sensor is different as well. The early model uses a two tabbed tone ring, while the late model uses a four tabbed tone ring with a circlip. Because of this, the early model output shaft doesn't have a groove for the circlip. Luckily they both use the same woodruff key and are the same diameter, so I simply drilled and tapped the late model tone ring for a set screw to hold it in place.

Early:
2012-12-30150935_zps9311d0b4.jpg

Late:
2012-12-30150956_zpsf7643a28.jpg

Tone ring installed:

2012-12-30151814_zpsc8ea03b0.jpg

The rest of the swap pics:

2013-01-07172739_zps0ec1ba15.jpg

2013-01-07172754_zpscc186c98.jpg

lines tucked nice along the inner frame rail

2013-01-07172807_zps61d6f1ab.jpg

Nice! As far as I know, you are the first person to modify a 97- AW4 to work with a 98+ TCU without a CEL. I researched the parts catalogs and a couple FSMs to figure out what I thought was necessary but it's good to see the actual parts and have them line up with what was in my head.

Can't wait to hear how it does with a built transmission!

Nice drivetrain work!

Mine is coming along. What you think?

buhusuhu.jpg

Also ended up modifing the motor mount
supaju4y.jpg

Boostwerks- what year power steering bracket are you using? The one i have will not work. It hits the exhaust manifiold. Will you post a few pics of yours, please?

Nice drivetrain work!

Mine is coming along. What you think?

Also ended up modifing the motor mount

Boostwerks- what year power steering bracket are you using? The one i have will not work. It hits the exhaust manifiold. Will you post a few pics of yours, please?

Looks great! Fantastic job on the dump tube. It starts to get cramped in there really quick!

I'm using the factory 99 XJ bracket. I'll snap some pics for you later tonight. What model/year bracket is yours?

So forgive me but with a small turbo and inter cooler 48ar and 42 ar compressor. Running the exhaust over to the other side would I still have lag?

Back