• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much for labor?

NJblackdeath4x4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I've come to the sad realization that I don't have the time, tools, or experience to regear my Waggy 44's and get them under my XJ anytime soon. Although I (and a lot of other people I'm sure) would like to do all of my own work, I'm thinking it would be better for me and the integrity of my Jeep if someone who knew exactly what they were doing tackled this swap. Don't get me wrong, this is my first build and I'm not afraid to learn things on my own as I go along but time is an issue sooooo finally the question....

If I brought my axles and Cherokee to a shop how monstrous of a bill should I expect be looking at to:
- Regear the axles to 5.13
- Weld on tabs and brackets
- Clean em up a bit
- Set up the steering

I'm just looking for a ballpark figure so I can guage a good or bad deal

I have a 91 XJ D30/8.25 stock 3.55, lockers front/rear. I was told a guy, ASE Mech. pretty good guy too. He's in our local club, little less than $1,200 for 4.88's, install kits, labor, fluids etc...so out the door for that amount. Thats with the axles under the jeep. I have not done it yet....but i might...i do trust him...he's done LOTS of the rigs in our club. I think he quoted me $300 labor per axle

HTH Steve

I believe i paid just about $1300 all said and done when i re-geared my axles to 4:56. This was at a small local shop. I know the guy;s well. It may not have been the lowest price, but I'm much happier supporting a local shop in the case that I cannot do the work myself

Regearing is usually much cheaper when the axle isn't under the Jeep.

Because there's so much extra labor to put the arms for the lift under the truck and push the button?

Apparently! :dunno: I've always noticed that shops seem to charge less if they aren't under the rig. doesn't make any sense to me either just stating a fact.

You wouldnt think it but for some reasons the quotes I have gotten in the past are in fact that way. Very weird.

Some wrenchy types are weird. Our gear installer *prefers* them out of the vehicle so he can put them on the bench in front of him...but on an hourly basis it takes the same amount of time.

The only exception to this is when we're talking about a third member/dropout. ;)

Some wrenchy types are weird. Our gear installer *prefers* them out of the vehicle so he can put them on the bench in front of him...but on an hourly basis it takes the same amount of time.

The only exception to this is when we're talking about a third member/dropout. ;)

True story, unfortunately we dont have that luxury lol.

Because there's so much extra labor to put the arms for the lift under the truck and push the button?

I agree. It takes 30 seconds to pull the tires. 10 sec to pull the drums. 1 min to pull cover and let fluid drain. 30 sec to pull the center pin bolt. 1 min to get the center pin out if its stubborn. 10 sec to push in the axle shafts, let the C clips fall out, and pull the shafts out half ways. All if you have air tools. Semi float is just as easy, full float is the easiest, you don't even have to remove the tires unless they have ghey center caps.

But on the other hand it takes half hour, 45 min to pull the rearend and strip if the gear guy doesn't have a lift. Front end is obviously more work.

How about making them fit? Is that gunna be a whole lot more on top of the 1200-1300?

How about making them fit? Is that gunna be a whole lot more on top of the 1200-1300?

Yeah, forgetting to address your original question...You're basically asking someone to build your custom axles for you. They'll be several hours into it, making adjustments, checking fit, prepping surfaces for welding, welding, fitting, sourcing parts you didn't realize you needed, waiting while the parts come in that you didn't have because you needed it for this weekend even though you said you had no deadline, etc. :D

I paid 250.00 for my re gear and ARB install of my front 44 pulled out of the jeep.

Some shops charge for "rack time", and the charge goes up the longer their rack is tied up. Doing a job with the parts/assemblies on the bench is easier than ducking your head under a vehicle, dirt down your neck, in poor lighting.

I would normally charge less for this particular job "out of vehicle".

You will most likely be looking at $275-$300 for the gear installation per axle, and most likely another $800-$1,000 for installing the axles in a custom application. Plus parts, paint or powdercoating, and fluids. You want this to be done correctly so don't shop around for the lowest prices, find a competent shop who is known for doing this kind of custom installs.

Yeah this is my daily driver so I'm not trying to just go to whoever does it the cheapest. I'm only trying to get an idea of what a normal price would be so I can spot an overpriced shop. The place closest to me wanted to charge $140 to mount and balance 4 tires so I'm kind of expecting them to be expensive which is why I ask.

The place closest to me wanted to charge $140 to mount and balance 4 tires so I'm kind of expecting them to be expensive which is why I ask.

ouch, locally im charged $15-20 per tire for mount/balance. im guessing that same shop will charge you a pretty penny like youre thinking. a quick step which may take a hour or two off labor would be to take a wire-wheel to the axles and clean them up if you have time. then apply a thin coat of oil or something of the sort to protect from surface rust until the new tabs and mounts are welded on. it would probably be very easy for a shop to charge you up the wazoo for 'axle prep' labor

Back