• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much backspacing can i have w/o rubbing?

MaxxXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a stock XJ and i dont want to keep my stock wheels anymore, i have 235/75/15 bfg mt's on it already so i dont want to change tire size, but can i still buy some mickey thompson classic locks that are 15X8 5-4.5 3-5/16" BACK SPACING, im not a super aggressive wheeler but i do take it on trails where i need full articulation so i still need to be able to stuff my wheels inside the fenders like my stock wheels do.
(like this)
IMG_0153.jpg

will i need to trim and relocate my flares or will i be ok with 3 5/16 backspacing? and im not even 100% sure if i can mount my 235's on 8 inch wheels... i hope so but i dont want that euro import wheel look where its all angled like this / \

i dont really want soft 8's or D wheels or anything with 4.75-5.25 back spacing, and i dont want to waste money buying wheels that will work now but not later

i searched around for what i could and didnt find anything, if you can find a thread, feel free to post it in here, keep in mind i want to know how much back spacing i can have before i start to rub my fender flares.

3-5/16" backspacing is a lot of a stock XJ.
You best bet would be to take your wheels off, cut some blocks of wood to 1-15/16" (the difference between stock and those Classic Locks), gently clamp (since the wheel studs will be to short) the wheel and tire in place, stand back and see how you like the spacing. That will really give you an idea of how wide it will be.

IMO, it is going to look quite odd on a stock XJ with 235s.

Look at your current setup, and see if you have more than 2.25" of clearance. My friend has some MT classics with ~3.5" BS, and he was into the fenders all the time on 235s, no trimming, no lift. Took a set of Bushwhackers and a lot of trimming to keep it from rubbing- seemed like a waste to save a few bucks on the wheels.

With 235s on 8" rims- the nominal width of the tire is just a bit over 9" (in the middle of the sidewall), and the tread is closer to 7", so your rims will likely be wider than than your tread, which looks a bit goofy IMO.

Last edited:
Look at your current setup, and see if you have more than 2.25" of clearance. My friend has some MT classics with ~3.5" BS, and he was into the fenders all the time on 235s, no trimming, no lift. Took a set of Bushwhackers and a lot of trimming to keep it from rubbing- seemed like a waste to save a few bucks on the wheels.

With 235s on 8" rims- the nominal width of the tire is just a bit over 9" (in the middle of the sidewall), and the tread is closer to 7", so your rims will likely be wider than than your tread, which looks a bit goofy IMO.

3-5/16" backspacing is a lot of a stock XJ.
You best bet would be to take your wheels off, cut some blocks of wood to 1-15/16" (the difference between stock and those Classic Locks), gently clamp (since the wheel studs will be to short) the wheel and tire in place, stand back and see how you like the spacing. That will really give you an idea of how wide it will be.

IMO, it is going to look quite odd on a stock XJ with 235s.

alright, thats not quite what i wanted to hear cuz i liked the wheels BUT it looks like i'll just have to wait til after i put the re 3.5 lift on it before i go changing wheels, maybe even wear out the wheels i got first...

mods you can close the thread if ya like... thanks

Yeah, waiting til you get your lift and new tires put on will make it easier to fit the wheels you want without having to buy them twice.

Back