• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many have done their own shocks?

mine was an '87. It might've been different.

I think I'll do the two in the front myself and have them do the two in the rear. Is it worth upgrading to bilsteins ($100/shock) vs ranchos ($45/shock)?

I don't even try to get rusted bolts out. I break them off, then use an air chisel to quickly knock out the spot welded nut. Then tape grade 8 bolts to a wrench and go through the access hole next to the broken bolt on the UNDERNEATH side. When tight just pull the open end wrench away from the bolt. You can literally replace both shocks in 15 minutes or less with this method. no joke. Sorry for those who missed this trick and cut carpet and floor.

I did mine hoping I wouldnt have a problem, I bought BPEs just in case. broke 2 of them and drilled right through the floor. I had to buy a $10 cobalt drill bit to drill through the broken bolt. Took a while to get it through and a lot of muscle. I broke the bit doing the second one, but had a another bit lying around to just finish it off. I think I broke 4 bits before I bought the cobalt one. I kept it cool and greased it every few seconds of drilling. It went through but the BPE holes didnt line up so I drilled another one to the side. It was tight but as long as I got the two nuts on the BPE I could tighten it down.

Expect them to break.

turpehar said:
I don't even try to get rusted bolts out. I break them off, then use an air chisel to quickly knock out the spot welded nut. Then tape grade 8 bolts to a wrench and go through the access hole next to the broken bolt on the UNDERNEATH side. When tight just pull the open end wrench away from the bolt. You can literally replace both shocks in 15 minutes or less with this method. no joke. Sorry for those who missed this trick and cut carpet and floor.

Yep, basically what I did. I air-hammered out the nuts, then used a magnetic tool to drop the new bolts in from the top. Piece of cake.

my brother and myself did my OME ones on my beast. i didnt break anything, but ganked up the threads on the l/r shock mount where it attaches to the axle using a hammer to tap the shock on.

Mine were already broke drilled out and fender bolts used aholes... I knocked the nuts through with a center punch and a small sledge and fished new bolts w a coat hanger, through the side of the shock mount. Was quick and easy just use a pair of goggles.

xjtrailrider said:
I've changed the shocks and lifted a couple of my 5 XJ's and have only snapped one bolt and I blamed that on being in a hurry and using the air ratchet(snapped it going on).

I think a lot of it has to do with how much salt you drive in during winter.

ummm thats great i live in indiana. thats my main concern with my lift. I have it ready just haven't installed it yet.

replaced the shocks on my 95 2 years back. Broke 3 out of the 4 and was able to drill and tap them back out. Haven't attempted my 98 yet, I'm afraid. LOL

turpehar said:

Agreed. I can't think of one good reason to drill or cut holes in the floor. An air chisel will get the bolts out in two seconds. I have some pics in this thread that outline the method:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=934954&page=2

Back