• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many have actually broken a Super 35

Paul S said:
You should also consider the shape of the Diff. IIRC, The 8.25 is about as bad as they get with that 1" rock grabbing lip on the bottom.

On the other hand, evey time I go wheeling with the Porch Puppy I think about upgrading to a Super 35 & 33's, the guy never gets hung-up. Then again, they don't call him the Porch Puppy for nothing :)

Paul

Paul, Your killing me :D In February I'm going to be :repair:
Thinks Andy

Jes said:
In what way does this relate to the topic at hand?

I was just trying to say that there is no reason to put in a Super 35 kit in a xj. It really has it's relevance to the rear coil sprung rigs whereas it is a bit harder to get a a different axle back there. Enough said, does anyone else have any comments on what tires, lockers, gears they are running with the Super 35 and how it is holding up, or not holding up?

Big Red said:
I was just trying to say that there is no reason to put in a Super 35 kit in a xj.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Big Red said:
That's true, but from what I hear the ford 8.8 holds up really good, the 8.25 not to bad either.
You've sure been touting the 8.8. Is that all just based on what you've heard?

cloudswimmer said:
I just took the advice of the friendly folks down at ORGS (Post Hinkley) that said for 33's and moderate offroading it would be fine.

So now I just wanted to hear from others that for whatever their reason for putting one on, have used them and broke them.Down the road when I'm ready to step up to 35's I'm leaning towards a True Hi9, but untill then I am interested to see how hard people have actually pushed these Super 35's so I can get a ballpark picture of what they can take.
From the sounds of things you're fine. I think spending $1000 on the Hi9 thirdmember for "moderate" wheeling and 35s is unnecessary. I'ld love to have a Hi9 (assuming they actually work) but it is a luxury not a necessity. You might even be able to make 35s on the super35 work. If you're running johnson Valley with the big boys it's another story. Having thrown on a bigger axle than necessary, I can say I REALLY miss the ground clearance. I'm glad I did it because the price was right and other factors (brakes, gearing) but 33s are more of a challenge than I'ld like :D

Run it. You'll be fine 'till it breaks. My 0.02.

:D

everyone just shut up and get a Toyota axle :D better than D35 clearance, stronger than D44, no c-clips, can't spin the tubes, beefy flange instead of yoke, same cost or cheaper than all other options mentioned here.... if you want to know more go find the Toyota axle thread, it's all been covered there.

basalt51 said:
Where do you come up with this stuff?

You've sure been touting the 8.8. Is that all just based on what you've heard?

From the sounds of things you're fine. I think spending $1000 on the Hi9 thirdmember for "moderate" wheeling and 35s is unnecessary. I'ld love to have a Hi9 (assuming they actually work) but it is a luxury not a necessity. You might even be able to make 35s on the super35 work. If you're running johnson Valley with the big boys it's another story. Having thrown on a bigger axle than necessary, I can say I REALLY miss the ground clearance. I'm glad I did it because the price was right and other factors (brakes, gearing) but 33s are more of a challenge than I'ld like :D

Run it. You'll be fine 'till it breaks. My 0.02.

I base the ford 8.8 info for having it in my 94' Wrangler that I sold and seeing how many people are running them and love um. I do have stuff to back it up Jason, thanks very much. I've been leaving you alone lately to give you a break. :laugh3: Also MORE (Mountain Offroad Enterprises in Colorado) loves the ford 8.8 and have them in almost all their rigs. You really need to think about getting bigger tires to get your axles off the ground like 35-37's, 37's with alloy shafts.

Good plug for the Toyota 8" Brett. I know it holds up good to some big tires, I see so many lifted Yotas in California since I've been here. What can you tell me about the 2wd 5 on 4.5 ones, are they 8" with 30 spline shafts or 7.5 with 27 spline shafts???
Troy

basalt51 said:
From the sounds of things you're fine. I think spending $1000 on the Hi9 thirdmember for "moderate" wheeling and 35s is unnecessary.

Thanks for the advice.I think I'll just truss it and call it a day.Then I can start saving for a Robinson R22 to do some serious back country traveling :D

Big Red said:
Good plug for the Toyota 8" Brett. I know it holds up good to some big tires, I see so many lifted Yotas in California since I've been here. What can you tell me about the 2wd 5 on 4.5 ones, are they 8" with 30 spline shafts or 7.5 with 27 spline shafts???
Troy

BrettM said:
if you want to know more go find the Toyota axle thread, it's all been covered there.

from some of the discussions i've had with some shops that sell axles, i've found out that the 7.5 can use the 7.8 diff carrier and axles (though i am still not positive), of course the axles still would have th 6 lug pattern if you upgraded the shafts. for me the only drawback of the toyota is the 6 lug pattern. it is minor for some people, but i don't like the idea fo having to match the front. the toy axle is narrower also. i am looking to find out if the 1-ton 2wd toyotas use 30 spline 7.5/5lug axles or maybe 7.8" 5-lug. possible there are full floaters out there from the duallies too. those are all possibilities. still clous has the super 35, and should just truss it. oh yeah and add discs brakes too, cause they are sweet and can keep your tire on if you break a shaft.

@cloudswimmer
I had a 35 in the rear with the Yukon 30 spline kit and detroit. I was running 38.5 SX's for 1 year. I broke the front 30's alloy shafts, detroit, r&p ... several times but did not have a problem with the rear 35.

I don't think it's that big difference about a c-clip or non-c-clip axle and it the front axle would have held up too i would still be running the 35 rear. But with all the breakage of the 30 i decided to swap axles and a 60 front and a 35 rear would make no sense so i swapped the rear too.

The 30 spline 35 will do anything that a locked front 30 does. If you start breaking parts in the front (not u-joints) you should consider get different axles. Until then you'll be fine with the 30 spline kit.

Big Red said:
I base the ford 8.8 info for having it in my 94' Wrangler that I sold and seeing how many people are running them and love um. I do have stuff to back it up Jason, thanks very much... You really need to think about getting bigger tires to get your axles off the ground like 35-37's, 37's with alloy shafts.

Sorry, I forgot how much abuse axles take when hydro-locked in a mud puddle or getting towed through fordyce.

Thanks for the advice, but I already have alloy axles and I don't need bigger tires. My wife thinks it's big enough already.

basalt51 said:
Sorry, I forgot how much abuse axles take when hydro-locked in a mud puddle or getting towed through fordyce.

Thanks for the advice, but I already have alloy axles and I don't need bigger tires. My wife thinks it's big enough already.

Dude, shut up and contribute something, don't critique my stuff. :twak:
You start with me so don't :bawl: when I make some posts in a thread to respond to you. If you have something to say then pm me. I've got enough of your bad rep points, some will be coming your way to bud. :mad:

My 94' YJ got towed through a few miles of Fordyce due to the crappy disco 30, I sold it and now have a built CJ. I also hydro locked the motor in my another YJ (91')I had earlier with 3.07 gears, open, and 33" muds at the Badlands in Indiana. You live and learn, I have had no breakdowns in my XJ yet.

All I was saying is with your axles, you can go bigger, it would also help with your ground clearance under your hp44/9". Since you have alloys you should be good up to 37's or so, also this isn't your dd so why not?

Last edited:
I have the super 35 with the detroit, 33's, d44 yoke with u-bolts, and a fairly heavy right foot. I have had no problems with this setup. been through rubicon, and fordyce several times with no problems. I do plan on a truss in the near future.

For my money, I'd do an XJ D44 or a TOYOTA. The TOYOTA is D@MN impressive from what I've seen in UROC competition.........(but then again, I have a shaved 14 bolt)

88flexj said:
I have the super 35 with the detroit, 33's, d44 yoke with u-bolts, and a fairly heavy right foot. I have had no problems with this setup. been through rubicon, and fordyce several times with no problems. I do plan on a truss in the near future.

Do you guys think I'd be pushing it a little too much going with 34x12.50 Trxus tires on a trussed super 35 rear?

the super 30 sells for $897.95
the super 35 sells for $595.95

this is what some guy off of samsoffroad.com told me that the super 30 and super 35 axle shafts only without locker would cost. it that right?

I have seen a super 35 get broken. It was a friend of mine on 33x14.50x15 swampers on his TJ, he came over a ledge thinking to get to the bottom not realizing that it went past verticle. He fell about 20 feet before landing at the bottom and he bent an axle shaft. I see that happening to most any axle dropped from that far, no one who was there thought he should have been able to really walk away. BTW, he drove it for the rest of the weekend and didn't realize it till later. Those swampers are some of the heaviest 33's I have seen and now he is running on 35's without anymore problems (BTW, 4wheelparts replaced the axles for free) and he drives his Jeep to break it so I figure the super 35 isn't too bad an axle set up.

if thats just the price of the shafts then thats a big friggin ripoff, sorry but it is.

Don't fix what ain't broke I say.
I welded my 35 and wheeled it hard in the green mountains. Broke so many front axles I can't recall, but the rear is fine.
I bought a 87 wagoneer for the D-44 2 years ago thinking I should be prepared. Spent 2 weeks cleaning it up, new brakes, brake lines, trussed itjust to be sure, got it all ready.
I am. :speepin:
It's sittin in the garage now.

I got tired of waiting for the 35 to break, so I put new brake pads on it.

Back