• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many have actually broken a Super 35

There is a TJ that runs around here that welded his stock setup 35, and has been running HARD trail and Daily driver for the last 2 yrs. He is just waiting for it break. He has 36" tires! He does alot of Badlands, etc, and is HEAVY on the gas. Has 8" of lift, Warn winches front AND back, etc.

I think he is crazy, but he is doing it.

The yoke is another weak point of the D35 that the Super 35 kit does not address. the straps on a D35 yoke kept most of the Sierra Chapter on Fordyce until 4am. I have also seen a D35 yoke break in half from moderate use and no contact with anything or bind in the joint.

BrettM said:
The yoke is another weak point of the D35 that the Super 35 kit does not address. the straps on a D35 yoke kept most of the Sierra Chapter on Fordyce until 4am. I have also seen a D35 yoke break in half from moderate use and no contact with anything or bind in the joint.

4 a.m. at least, you were at the head of the line, your so lucky. :) I was dead last behind Poomba. :mad: I brought someone who never wheeled and haven't heard from since. That was a long day/night, lets do it again, this time without the breakage.

The Super 35 tries to solve some stuff like stronger axle shafts, but doesn't address the weak housing, tubes, small r&p, and the yoke, it just isn't up to over 33" tires if that and moderate wheeling. You can easily get a 29 spline 8.25 that will bolt in or a ford 8.8 or look and be ready to grab the xj dana 44 when you see 1 in the bone yard or for sale from someone who has already grabbed it.
Troy

You can easily get a 29 spline 8.25 that will bolt in[/QUOTE said:
So that would would be alot stronger than than my Super 35 kit with an axel truss for my 33's?I'm trying to keep the cost down.How much would the 29 spline 8.25 cost? Plus a locker, gears, install kit, and paying someone to do the work.I can get my Super 35 Trussed for at the most 400.00, and I have someone that said they'ed help me truss it for basically the cost of materials.

ChuckD said:
So what else does this D35 have? Gears? Locker? Brakes?

Hi Chuck, Yeah the Super 35 comes with a Detroit locker, and I have 4.56 gears.Brakes are just the stock ones, drums I guess.

Chris

33's will hold up just fine, Porch Puppy has proven that, 35's I would adress the pinion yoke like Brett mentioned. And of course get the truss your planning on fabricating.

What tranny do you have? I know PP has a 4 to 1 kit and a MT. He has a lot of control on where he is on the trail. He must since from the pictures he usually comes out looking pretty clean.

BrettM said:

I don't agree with that. A 1310 yoke strap is a 1310 yoke strap wheather it's a D35 or D44 and the strength difference between straps and U bolts is negligable.
The problem on Fordyce was an overloaded rig, spun axle tubes, and collapsed shackles causing extreme axle wrap.

Jes said:
I don't agree with that. A 1310 yoke strap is a 1310 yoke strap wheather it's a D35 or D44 and the strength difference between straps and U bolts is negligable.
The problem on Fordyce was an overloaded rig, spun axle tubes, and collapsed shackles causing extreme axle wrap.

I use the U bolt yoke cuz them dam rocks like to eat the heads off... :doh:

Andy

Porch Puppy said:
I use the U bolt yoke cuz them dam rocks like to eat the heads off... :doh:

Andy

And if you did break one it's a lot easier to replace a U bolt than it is to fish the threads out of the yoke when those little bolts shear off. ;)

cloudswimmer said:
You can easily get a 29 spline 8.25 that will bolt in[/QUOTE said:
So that would would be alot stronger than than my Super 35 kit with an axel truss for my 33's?I'm trying to keep the cost down.How much would the 29 spline 8.25 cost? Plus a locker, gears, install kit, and paying someone to do the work.I can get my Super 35 Trussed for at the most 400.00, and I have someone that said they'ed help me truss it for basically the cost of materials.

If you already have the Super 35 kit then stick with it and get it trussed and just watch it as to not beat on it to bad you should probably be o.k. For the people that want to upgrade their stock dana 35, ditch it and get a 29 spline 8.25, xj dana 44, or ford 8.8 in that order depending on needs and ability to swap it in. I have a xj 44 that I bought with 4.56 gears and a full detroit locker, but if I were to get an axle based on availabilty and what you get for your money (bang for the buck) it's hard not to build the ford 8.8 from a 95'+ explorer. A big plus is the 31 spline axles shafts and awesome big disc brakes. Many aftermarket axle makes offer the ford explorer disc brakes on their axles as an upgrade like Currie and others. You can also carry a few extra shafts if you should blow the big 31 spline ones, they are readily available at bone yards. I like my xj 44, but I wish I would have done up a ford 8.8 oh well, I have a pair of shafts for it if it blows and you can get alloy shafts from the manufacturers of them (Superior, Yukon etc) by getting ones for the TJ dana 44 which has the same dimensions.
Troy

Big Red said:
The Super 35 tries to solve some stuff like stronger axle shafts, but doesn't address the weak housing, tubes, small r&p, and the yoke, it just isn't up to over 33" tires if that and moderate wheeling. You can easily get a 29 spline 8.25 that will bolt in or a ford 8.8 or look and be ready to grab the xj dana 44 when you see 1 in the bone yard or for sale from someone who has already grabbed it.
Troy
Weak tubes are also found on your panacea of the 8.8 - ive heard plenty of people spinning them at the rosette welds...

The Yoke is the same on the d44 and d35

the R+P is smaller on the d35, but smaller ring gear = more ground clearance... some of the Toy axles have a 7.5" ring gear as well IIRC and no one has problems...
And with these he would need new gears, another locker, and probably have to do more genral mantiance on another rear end that he doesnt know the history of - he might buy my old rear end that was in my ranger - Full of water and no gear oil....

8.8 and Chrysler 8.25 also have C-clips, so your not leaving that behind. The 8.8 is the only rear end that came stock with Disks, but not all of them...

There are advantages to each axle, but i think that the biggest andvantage would be to truss the d35 and ride it. Enjoy the vehicle - that was the whole point of the jeep in the first place...

I would truss the d35 and do a u-joint convertion or carry a spare yoke (like $25...)

IIRC you dont need to pull the axle to put a truss on it, it can be welded on with the axle in place.

hope this is helpful
-Ranger

The only super 35's ive seen broke were on a couple of YJ's trying to run 37" tires on them, and way to much throttle.

Porch Puppy said:
8.8 and Chrysler 8.25 also have C-clips, so your not leaving that behind.

And if you have an 87 to 89 D35 its NON-C-clip...

Andy

That's true, but from what I hear the ford 8.8 holds up really good, the 8.25 not to bad either. You can get a C-clip eliminator for the 8.8 if you want. You can find alot of stuff for that axle from the Mustang drag racing guys out there, it is still behind a ford 9"though for aftermarket stuff and its strength. At least with the 8.25 and 8.8 you have stronger axles shafts and with the 8.8 and disc brakes you shouldn't shed a tire when/if you break a c-clip/axle shaft.
Troy

If you have a nice big beefy axleshaft that you're not going to break, why does the fact that it's got a c-clip on the end make any difference? And isn't part of the reason for an axle swap, to get nice big beefy axleshafts that are not going to break?

Phil Weeks said:
If you have a nice big beefy axleshaft that you're not going to break, why does the fact that it's got a c-clip on the end make any difference? And isn't part of the reason for an axle swap, to get nice big beefy axleshafts that are not going to break?

Exactly, with the 31 spline shafts of the 8.8 it isn't that easy to break them unless you really beat on it. Plus spare axles shafts are easily found at boneyards because the Exploder is the most popular SUV.

The 29 spline 8.25 holds up pretty good too and is an easily found axle from 97'+ XJs. You can also just get alloy 29 spline shafts to replace your early 8.25 with 27 spline shafts when/if you want to regear and lock it. I can see why people might be afraid to get a stronger axle than the 35 in a ZJ, but now the TJ has a iron 44 from the factory that you could swap in, but they people want alot for them because they know what they have. I've seen them on Pirate for $1,200 to $1,500 for a stock TJ 44. I'd go with the ford 8.8 for the ZJ or TJ and gear and lock that, RE brackets aren't that hard or expensive to add to run your coils, shocks, and control arms too.

Big Red said:
I can see why people might be afraid to get a stronger axle than the 35 in a ZJ, but now the TJ has a iron 44 from the factory that you could swap in, but they people want alot for them because they know what they have. I've seen them on Pirate for $1,200 to $1,500 for a stock TJ 44. I'd go with the ford 8.8 for the ZJ or TJ and gear and lock that, RE brackets aren't that hard or expensive to add to run your coils, shocks, and control arms too.

In what way does this relate to the topic at hand?

Last edited:
You should also consider the shape of the Diff. IIRC, The 8.25 is about as bad as they get with that 1" rock grabbing lip on the bottom.

On the other hand, evey time I go wheeling with the Porch Puppy I think about upgrading to a Super 35 & 33's, the guy never gets hung-up. Then again, they don't call him the Porch Puppy for nothing :)

Paul

Back