• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hot should the rear differential get?

BRIANHO13 said:
The magazine article listed earlier in this thread has all the info you want on dif sensors.
I see no link, just the mention of an article in Four Wheeler.

5-90 said:
Got scan?

5-90

I tried scanning it twice...computer is not cooperating, its in the July Four Wheeler on page 70 "the towing axle"

Good luck I will try again later.

The senders are drilled and tapped in the diff covers.
I made quick disconnect waterproof wiring that connects/disconnects at the top of each diff.
I then have rusty's diff covers that protect the senders.
The Auto Meter guages are mounted on my A-pillar housed in Auto Meter guage pods as follows;
Top:Volts
Middle: Front Diff
Bottom: Rear Diff.
I'll take some pics if you want.

OK - that works. The diff cover guards aren't much of a surprise, but I can figure out where the sensor is now, even with the covers in place.

The "A" pillar idea is out for me, tho. One of these days, I'm going to design either a sheetmetal (probably aluminum) or a fibreglas layup for an "eyebrow" panel, kinda like the "cargo shelf" idea you find in JCW, but I'd have spots for a few gages and the like, a smallish switch panel, and one or two DIN mount points for two-way radios. I just haven't been able to sit and really think about the idea lately...

I'd also been thinking about adding some other temperature gages eventually (engine oil, transmission, transfer case) and any other status displays I can think of, and redesigning the gage panel in the IP to take aircraft gages (because I like them, they WORK, and they're rather more reliable and accurate than automotive...) as well. Should be fun - once I finally get to work on it...

5-90

OK I tried scanning againg today everytime I go to save the program closes so....... here is something interesting from the article.
they used a special oil in the dif for one of the tests and it dropped the dif temp 25-30 degrees with nothing else used. It is 607 Almasol from Lubrication engineers www.le-inc.com

Sweet idea! Never would've thought of it myself.

Yes, Creamy, 75-140 syn is factory for the tow packages, but I use it just in my pavement pounder just because it's more durable than 80-90 conventional. I still change it every 30K miles though. Only thing is, it creates a noticeable drag during a cold northeast winter until it warms up. Not as noticeable in an automatic tranny setup.

I've got a non c-clip 35 in the MJ, after driving for 18 miles at highway speeds I got out the other day and immediately put my hand on the diff.
I could hold it there for a 3 count before it got terribly uncomfortable.
Ambient temp was 85, it's got 3.73 gears on the factory setup, detroit locker that was installed and set to the same backlash as it was measured when the open carrier came out. 8 thousandths I believe it was.
It's still got 80-90W chepo gear oil in it, as I'm still changing the oil and inspecting the gears. It will get 75-140W syn when I don't have to open it up every other week to inspect.

At the risk of a tread-jack...

Guy at work has a zj w/ 160k on it, full-time 4wd, never modified, never wheeled.

Says the front diff gets so hot that when he drained the oil out of it, it melted his plastic bucket!

He says there's a little "whine" to it, but no really bad noises.

Gotta be diff bearings, right? Nothing else would produce that kind of heat?

Any opinions are welcome, thanks!

Robert

boomhauer said:
I have front and and rear diff temp gauges. The 8.25/29 runs about 100-110, the D30 about 90-100. Running Lucas Synthetic 75/90 front and rear.

Update on diff temps. Now that i've done some summer highway and fall highway driving along with city, i can give you my readings in degrees.

All City 100-110

Summer Highway 180
Fall Highway 150
Lucas 75/90 Synth. 4.56's Aussie Front, No-Slip Rear, 100-120km/h or 60-75mph.

pull the cover and check backlash and meshing, if somethings too tight, friction will build up. thats the only thing i could think of. i dont think that the no slip would cause heat... maybe get a thicker oil

My D35 is hot, but only on the input and passenger sides. The drivers side is always cool to touch. It is in an '88 XJ. I'm the second owner, so probably all original. Iv changed the oil once myself about 5000 km ago. I'm gonna do it again this coming week.

It only seems hot along the areas closest to the exhaust, so it may be the issue. Has anyone else had this issue?

you should ask the OP, oh wait he posted in 2006.

Back