• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gonzo the XJ Wagoneer build thread

My hatch leaks on my renix. I ended up filling thesmall rips with hot glue to bandaid the issue. Maybe find some late model seals for the back?

Looking good. You can probably find weather stripping online somewhere?

That's a good idea on fixing the cracks with glue or rv until I can pick up a set. I haven't even looked online yet. Been spending all my money on my motorhome lately getting that thing dialed in. Anybody been to tierra del sol? We went down south a few weeks back and my cousin wants me to bring the jeep down to Ocotillo Wells to go play.

Not exactly a Jeep mod, but it's for putting in the jeep while wheeling.

Plow Disc Cooker. Uses a 22" plow disc that's cleaned, seasoned and has handles welded on. I used an old turkey fryer, added some square tube so I can slide legs into. Drilled through them and made some T screws. Screwed a piece of double sided velcro to one leg so I can tie them up and keep em together.
Breaks down for easy storage. And transport in the jeep. Can cook tacos for 30 people pretty easy on this thing. Great for breakfasts too. I'm going to weld some 3/4" nuts on the bottom of the disc so I can add removable legs for campfire cooking

A company called Southwest Disc. They also sellthis model on ebay for about $20 cheaper than their website. I was gonna try and make one, but couldn't find any locally and shipping made them more than this one ready to go, preseasoned. $65 shipped. Thing weights 24 pounds or something. It's heavy. Holds heat good. Can move stuff to the outside of it to keep warm while other things are cooking. In the middle. I'm gonna weld a 1.5" lip around the outside so I can load this thing full of food.

I'll be at the clampers yellow snow run this weekend. Anyone else going? Not a clamper BTW, just friends with one.

Tacos were a dish called Discado. Made some damn good tacos with it. Way better than the normal carne asada tacos I usually make. Wife says they're the best she's had.

I suggest you make some.

.75 lbs Bacon, diced
1.5 lbs pork shoulder, diced
.75 lb chorizo
3 + jalapenos, diced
1 onion, diced
3 or 4 roma tomatoes, diced
4 cloves garlic, diced
1 or 2 red bell peppers, diced
1tsp cumin,
1tbsp oregano
Pepper to taste.
Corn tortillas

Cook the bacon until the pan is nice and greasy, then cook pork in it, once the pork looks good, throw chorizo, then move meat to edges and cook all veggies and season. Once veggies are good, mix it all up and finish cooking til water is gone. Potatos are good in it too, but cut them real small so they cook very fast, maybe add them when you add the pork so they fry a little. Heat up your tortillas, load em up, cilantro, cheese on top. Garnish as you like.
We did potatoes in the discada this time, but had to add quite a bit of cook time because they were big pieces and we added them after the chorizo. I added some beef broth to kinda boil the potatoes. This will feed a pretty good size group with only 3 lbs of meat. Cost me $25 and I've got leftovers for days.

Where is this clampers snow run?

I'm trying to figure if a lot of snow dumped or not.

How many rigs in that group ?

I haven't been to it before. It's put on by the local ECV chapter. As far as I know, there'll probably be 20 or 30 rigs. Maybe more, not really sure.

Jon, if you come by a reasonably priced D44 or D60 front, let me know. I'm wanting to go bigger up front.

Are you serious pat?

I can't say I've ever had a real, good, taco in Santa Cruz either. Not many good places here either, compared to some spots in So Cal I've been to. Time to start making your own!

Saw a lifted XJ wagoneer in rancho cordova last week. It was a tan waggy. Kinda cool seeing another one. Looked like it had a lot done to it, but we were driving opposite directions.
So much I want to do, but have so many other projects the last couple months, the XJ is just being driven and not improved.
It developed an exhaust leak in the header area, haven't found the broken welds yet, but haven't looked too hard. Changed the front DIFF fluid last week. Old stuff looked good and no signs of water in it. Love my jeep, I've got a nice newer truck that only saw about 1000 miles last year because I drive the jeep so much.
What's everyone doing for replacement seats? These XJ seats just aren't that comfortable. I have the electric bottom but the motors are all jacked. Think I'm gonna try and put manual rails and get grand cherokee seats on em. Saw a guy selling his XJ and he had Tundra seats. I emailed him to see if it's an easy swap, but didn't hear back.

Back