• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How high can I go with D30 low pinion?

S

SeaMonkey

Still planning out my build up on my 2000XJ. I know I'll need a SYE for the rear but what do I do with the stupid low pinion front axle? I've been considering RE 4.5 or even the Full Traction long arm 6" but figure that will be too much for the front drive shaft angle. Are there any options besides dropping in a custom built D44 in the front...och? BTW it has a NP231 with auto, 8.25 rear.

Thanks for you input, :cool:

Above 5" you will need to pay attention to things but its still do-able.Im at +6" with mine!

BTW:YJ's are all LP D30's.Something else to watch for,my DC joint was binding at full droop.A little grinder action took care of that!

Last edited:
RE 4.5" No Problem. Add 3/4" poly spacer and you can get some vibes if the pinion gets set to low. I can't tell you the exact angle yet, need to adjust the UCA out a bit then get back to the alignment shop. 4.5" w/31s works great for me.

2001, lp D30:cool:

Mine has been fine with the RE4.5" + 3/4" spacer and my friend also has the LP30 on his '01 with the RE5.5" kit. Neither of us have had problems with vibrations or the driveshaft binding and we flex it quite a bit.

You mentioned swapping in a 44 and I agree that isn't always the best option for everybody, myself included. But why not consider finding a HP30 and swapping that? I am looking for one now to replace my LP30 before I dump a lot of money into it (gears and lockers).

I sit at 8" with my '01 and a low pinion D30.
I heard all the rumours as well. Most of them come from people who don't have that much of a lift to begin with. You just have to go for it and see what happens. Each jeep reacts differently to lifts.
I had a t-case spacer in mine and just decided, before I left to go to Moab, to take it out. I was worried I might get vibes. So far no problems.

Joe

I was told by Dirk that my D30 would be fine as is with my new RE 5.5 lift. I'll know next week if all is well for sure.

Curt

Same lift I bought (RE5.5 Extreme Duty) although I added a couple of inches to it.
It's a good lift and I doubt you'll have any problems.
If possible upgrade to the adjustable control arms.

Joe

Full Traction has a 6" LA for XJ's?:confused:

Thanks

Thanks all for your input. I guess I'll just go for it when the funds are all set. Was nice to hear that 5+ is doable. Yes Full Traction has a 6" LA kit. Not sure if it has been released yet but if not it will be soon. I saw it at the off-road expo and it looked very beefy. The only down side I could see was that it mounts on the frame rail where most of your rocker guards would bolt up. Here's the link if you want to check it out. Full Traction XJ LA kit

Back