• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Good is a Stock Xj

90NHXJ said:
that's an absolute freakin crying shame what they did to that Jeep. God bless it's soul.

Because a few people have made similar comments, hopefully I can put it in perspective...

If you check the description for the video, you'll find that that particular XJ had failed its MoT - basically, the annual roadworthiness and emissions test conducted on every vehicle in the UK over three years old. No MoT, no way to register the vehicle and put it on the road.

If it failed for reasons of structural rot, it may simply not have made economic sense to try to repair it in order to get a pass - and from watching the video, it appears to be an L-reg, which, under the old UK plate numbering scheme, indicates that's it's probably a '93 or '94 (source). It's already worth next to nothing due to the MoT failure, and since they weren't interested in parting it out it was headed for the junkyard. The amount of abuse that XJ took was pretty impressive: having done something similar with an old diesel FJ40 Land-Cruiser years ago that had had a long, hard life as a farm vehicle, I'm certainly amazed at how well it held up.

I would never treat mine in such a manner. 209,000 on her and still going strong.

True, but you have to remember that you're in the right country for cheap support for your vehicle. Jeeps are a bit exotic in places where Land-Rovers and Toyotas are more common.

Back