• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you change oil filter without making a mess?

If a filter has double the capacity of a Fram filter, will this require more oil in the oil pan?

Stock filter: 1/2 quart; vertical or horizontal mounting.

Wix 51515 or equivalent: 1 quart; vertical or horizontal mounting.

Wix 51773 or equivalent: 2 quarts; vertical mounting ONLY.

Note: the 51773 is the 51515 on steroids, but there is a downside--the 51515 filters at 21 microns, the 51773 is at 30 microns. There is no free lunch!

Other note: the 51515 and 51773 are SAE filters, and only fit 91+ 4.0 UNLESS you have modified the earlier OFA to accept SAE threaded filters, Chryco part number 53007563AB, or you have installed a 91+ OFA.

fram filters are known to collapse under higher rpms. i had this happen on the mustang during a pass and it cost me 9k to build anther motor. not all bad bc it forced me to do s better setup so after the intial shock im happy

I've slipped a bag over the filter before taking it off, I stuffed paper towels in the bag to help soak up any oil. It really keeps thing clean and contained but can be tricky getting a grip on the filter to turn it. Also, not sure if that will work on a vertical mounted filter at all...

For garage floor spills I have an old floor mat that has carpet and a rubber backing. I pour cat litter on the floor mat and slide it around where needed. The litter soaks everything up and what it doesn't the rubber backing stops until more litter can soak it up.

PacificED just had a zero oil pressure problem from a Fram filter. That is probably about a half dozen I have personally run acrosss.

I put a bucket and a large sheet of cardboard on the floor, then unscrew slowly. Let the filter drain gradually, and the trickle that comes out will fall right into the pan. That's always worked great for me.

I didn't think this was an issue. I just put the drain pan under the filter and the oil goes right to it. Use puroilator pure one filters before I saw that article today. I'm glad I made the right choice.

Stock filter: 1/2 quart; vertical or horizontal mounting.

Wix 51515 or equivalent: 1 quart; vertical or horizontal mounting.

Wix 51773 or equivalent: 2 quarts; vertical mounting ONLY.

Note: the 51773 is the 51515 on steroids, but there is a downside--the 51515 filters at 21 microns, the 51773 is at 30 microns. There is no free lunch!

Other note: the 51515 and 51773 are SAE filters, and only fit 91+ 4.0 UNLESS you have modified the earlier OFA to accept SAE threaded filters, Chryco part number 53007563AB, or you have installed a 91+ OFA.

Isn't the WIX 51085 20 microns and the 51515 19 microns? Just what I was told by a dodge guy.

I started using Autolite FL1A after these threads started showing up years ago. I may be looking at this all wrong, but if a filter can take a high-revving Mustang engine, the lazy 4.0 shouldn't hurt it. They are larger, but more importantly, allow greater oil pressure. And, on the '92 with the vertical filter, the pressure comes up faster, with less death rattle after a cold start. One of these days, I'm gonna clock the adapter, so it won't empty when the engine is shut off. I read on here that it's possible, so next oil change it is.

I started using Autolite FL1A after these threads started showing up years ago. I may be looking at this all wrong, but if a filter can take a high-revving Mustang engine, the lazy 4.0 shouldn't hurt it. They are larger, but more importantly, allow greater oil pressure. And, on the '92 with the vertical filter, the pressure comes up faster, with less death rattle after a cold start. One of these days, I'm gonna clock the adapter, so it won't empty when the engine is shut off. I read on here that it's possible, so next oil change it is.

I tend to look at things differently. If something is designed for a high performance high revving motor I don't see it suited for the lazy 4.0. The two motors have different oil needs as they are two different motors. Pressure and volume are two totally different things.

Just because something is high performance doesn't mean it's better. Think of a pair of running shoes, they are great to take abuse of running. However, they might not be better suited to walk in compared to a walking shoe.

/opinion

Isn't the WIX 51085 20 microns and the 51515 19 microns? Just what I was told by a dodge guy.

The 51515 is 21 per Wix website.

The 51085 is 21 per Wix website.

what was the reason for changing from a vertical mount filter to a horizontal mount filter? i would think it would be neater to change and reduce back flow. can you change from horizontal to vertical?

The 51515 is 21 per Wix website.

The 51085 is 21 per Wix website.

I stand corrected, thanks Joe.

One of these days, I'm gonna clock the adapter, so it won't empty when the engine is shut off. I read on here that it's possible, so next oil change it is.

I did it on mine, same reasoning.

Pressure and volume are two totally different things.

I agree. But until a certain volume of oil can flow, there is no pressure. This particular filter number is used across a wide variety of engines. Back in the Seventies, my Pintos used it. My '80 Mercory Zephyr 3.3 six used it. A variety of V8s use it. To me, it seems well suited. Like I said, this filter has cut down on the dry start my '92 is prone to. At 200k, it's gonna rattle. But, it does less than it did at 100k while wearing orange. Just my unscientific observation.

what was the reason for changing from a vertical mount filter to a horizontal mount filter? i would think it would be neater to change and reduce back flow. can you change from horizontal to vertical?

Problem is, it's upside down. At rest, most of the oil drains out, ensuring a somewhat dry start. But, not enough to keep from making a mess when you remove it. Especially if it's a larger filter. Just enough mess to rust proof the right side control arms, and seep into the bushings, leading to premature failure. Rubber doesn't like oil.

Yes. You could use a Renix era OFA, or simply remove the locating pin and rotate the OFA.

Some people like having the OFA horizontal, a little easier to change and capture most of the mess, and I think it will allow you to remove the motor mount bolt without removing the filter.

Hi,
I am the tech manager for FRAM filters. We usually will use a sharp punch, poke a hole in the end of the filter with a small pan under it and let it drain for a while. The idea of using a bag around it sounds pretty good to me as well.
If you need any technical assistance regarding the oiling system on your Jeep, happy to help. I can be reached at [email protected]

Back