• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do I get the bushing into the leaf spring??

I put the bushings in the freezer overnight and used some grease to lube it up. I would start it by hand so you can hold the bushing straight as you tighten the nuts. Good luck, those bushings were a pita. Worst part of the entire lift.

Well, I was defeated again by bushings. I got the pipe flanges just as shown in the pictures and it helped a lot. I got the 2 smaller bushings in but just barely. I've had them in the freezer and covered everything with grease. I started them by hand then hit them with the impact and it would get about half way. Then, the impact stopped moving them. I used a 3lb mini sledge with the flange to beat them the rest of the way in to place.

My impact stripped my one 1/2" bolt so I had to give up. Not sure if I would make any head way on the larger bushings though. Sucks I must have 25 bucks in flanges and other assorted hardware to try and create a workable press but still failed ha.

OEM style leafs and bushings?

The FSM states the flange with all thread is the correct way to replace the bushings. If all else fails try a local shop with a 20 ton press. It could not be over $10 bucks a bushing. I wish I could come over and help, it was such a pita to do by myself.

OEM style leafs and bushings?

The FSM states the flange with all thread is the correct way to replace the bushings. If all else fails try a local shop with a 20 ton press. It could not be over $10 bucks a bushing. I wish I could come over and help, it was such a pita to do by myself.

Yea all stock. I could try another bolt/threaded rod I guess but at this point I think I might as well just pay someone ha. Finding people that do walk-ins(your own parts) is a pain around here. I was doing my lower control arm bushings a few weeks ago. I called a few places and they wanted from $60 to $300 to press out/in those 4 bushings. I eventually found a friend of a friend who did them for $40 so I am gonna see if he can swing the 10 bucks per bushing again.

2 ton press is your XJ. Use a floor jack, once the bushing is started, place the leaf on the jack and jack it up against the 'frame' rail. Might help to have an extra hand to hold the leaf while one operates the jack.

Well not sure what happened but today I got the 2 shackle end bushings in no problem at all. Not sure if I refined my technique or what but it went perfectly, go figure. At least I have the big bolt, flanges and experience for future bushing needs ;) .

Back