• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how big to fit 36s

Here's my rig on 36" Iroks with about 6" of lift. The only rubbing I had was at the tip of the fender towards the bumper. Nothing a sawzall can't fix. :D
RiverRoad3-13.jpg

RiverRoad3-11.jpg

RiverRoad3-10.jpg

RiverRoad3-7.jpg

And some tire stuffage. No rubbing in there rear, but it's close and on the driver's side front, the tire is just barely touching the fender.
100_1447.jpg

-Matt

Its all about the trimming, who needs body panels they just seem to keep getting in the way. 36s TSL on 6in Full Traction LA = perfect.

AUT_0902.jpg

AUT_0900.jpg

Jeepin Jason said:
I know this thread is a bit old, but I was searching for info on Bushwackers and came across this one, and since I recently put a set of 36" IROKs on my rig, I thought I'd toss out some info on my experience.

I'm currently running DPG's new TrailGunner 5" coils and leafs, with 3/4" spacers up front and JKS 1" shackles in the back. Tires are bias-ply 36x13.5R15 IROKs on 15x8" TrailReady beadlocks with 3.25" backspacing. I've also got Warn hubs that add about 3/4" per side...

With the trimming I did to install my Bushwackers the tires fit pretty well. For Bumpstops I'm running DPG's adjustable bumpstop plates and Daystar extended snubbers in the back, with RE 3" bumpstop pucks and Daystar extended snubbers in the front.

417949484_a20fd048b0.jpg

The tires fit fine in the back, and just barely rub the fender well (just cleans the dirt and paint off)

417963550_c0784f2e1a.jpg

Front however... the swampers are a little too big to really fit up into the flares, at least not without cutting out the inner lip (anyone know anyone that's done that on the front flares??). At full compression the tires pushed on the back of the flares enough to pull the lower-most bolts through the flares, and the second to lowest bolts pulled through the sheet metal (bottom bolts have nuts on the back, which is why they pulled through the flares and not the fender).

418002939_fc62ba6310.jpg

More pics from this set here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeepin/sets/72157600026236318/

Since the tires are a bit too big to really fit well with the front Bushwackers, I'm seeing how it would look flareless (to give you an idea of the trimming I've done).

475022512_0cf7aa6257.jpg

475031211_594c178213.jpg

475029271_43f96ebbf7.jpg

Jason

I cut out the inner lip on my BW flares. It works much better and is very easy to do. I have yet to hit the flares with my tires and have not experienced any weakness from cutting them. I really didnt see the piont in having that inner lip if you are putting the flares on for more tire clearance.

Jeff

Jeff, you don't happen to have some pics of your rig showing the front flares do you? I cut out my rear flares when I installed them, just haven't been sure about doing the fronts...

You will also be able to see your tire if you leave them off, way better for wheelin. But if Johnny Law bothers you on the street, that would be the only reason to keep them on I think.

Livingston_001.jpg

91 Jeep Project said:
Don't do it Jason, leave 'em off!

Is it a legality issue, or do you really just like the look?

No legal issues with it down here, I've just always preferred the look of an XJ with flares vs not with flares, and when I originally did the BWs my XJ was still my primary DD and I was tired of the sides constantly being dirty from road grime being slung up by the front tires.

The biggest issue I'd face if I decide to leave the flares off is how to patch the holes left in my rear doors...

Back