• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot Start Issue....still

bustednutz

NAXJA Forum User
OK I have a 98 Cherokee Sport. When its cold it fires right up. But after driving it, going into a store for a couple hours, coming back out, I try starting it and it just turns over and over and over. Then I turn it off and back on again and it fires right up.

Whats the deal?

had same problem with my 91 and it was coolant temp sensor failing. it kept telling my computer i was running at like 50 degrees, or whatver it says when motor is cold. i also noticed rough shifting with this problem but its a cheap ten dollar possible fix.

most likely a bad fuel pump. the problem being that the fuel pump is getting heat soaked, and raising the internal resistance of the pump. best thing to do wold be to check the fuel pressure after driving it around and letting it sit. it should be around 46psi.

I have a 98XJ, same problem. Fuel pump is the remedy. X2 on fuel pressure. If you dont have a fuel pres. guage, next time it acts up pull the cap off the schrader valve on the fuel rail and release some pressure. It will most likely vapor. The fuel pumps are acually really easy to do compared to others i have done. Just make sure you have less than a quarter tank left when you drop it

I was going to suggest the check valve also. Mine's been doing this for a couple of years now....just havent got around to dropping the tank to replace it (when I do, im putting in a new pump and fuel filter while i'm in there).

I find turning the ignition on and waiting about 3-5 seconds seems to help it out a lot.

Back