• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood vents

I have no problems with water/snow. I've had the vents in for almost 4 yrs. JIM.
HPIM0180.jpg

Aaron

I think your ghettofab Lowes vents are awesome, they just opened another here on li, ny.

Since I got a mortgage I'd use the mummified skin of roadkill to make vents hasta , the CHEAPER THE BETTER (except the important) stuff

Anyone ever do side vents?

aaronh said:
These might look stupid but they work. I went to Lowes got AC floor vents you can even get the ones that open and close
100_2609.jpg

Amen to that, I did the SAME thing, cost me 8 dollars!! Mine are longer, and narrower, but same deal. They work great.

SteelblueSteve said:
After a lot of searching and agreeing with most that the LeBaron hood vents are the best looking, I thoutht I could come up with something better. Went down the road from where I live to J.C. Whitney's main center and picked up a Wrangler hood vent, stainless steal, $37 and no shipping charges. They only had one in stock so the other one is on back order. Then I fabbed up some alum. trim pcs. .200 thick each, recessed on the back so the vent and trim pc. sat flush together. Also made up a vent for the air filter , the slots for that angled 40 degrees back so I could mount it up in front of the Rusty's air tube and filter, hoping to get cooler air to it and circulate some cooler air through the engine compartment. I glass bead blasted all the pieces and spray painted them flat black. I did the same this spring with my alum. rims and the paint has held up nicely. I'm also not far from the Cliff's offroad park and trying to get through the mud there made this all necessary due to high temps. Seems to help, temps. peak at 210 and drop a couple of needle widths where before temps were 210 to a couple needle widths up. Working at the same machine shop for 19 years has it's advantages.

Finally got the last vent from backorder and installed it. Finished pic and a couple of the alum. trim pieces a made at work, before painting, from top and bottom.
image_54.jpg

image_53.jpg

image_143.jpg

Last edited:
SteelblueSteve said:
Finally got the last vent from backorder and installed it. Finished pic and a couple of the alum. trim pieces a made at work, before painting, from top and bottom.

image_143.jpg

mine look just like this exept i made covers for them that come on and off with wing nuts, so no worries about water. I put washers inbetween the covers and vents so they still vent some even when they are on.

Seeing you have them so small, why did you put them near the centre where there is a high risk of getting the TPS wet and other electrical things? Towards the outside is much better.

everyone talk about the TPS

i have put vents on every cherokee i have ever owned. i live in portland oregon, we get rain 300+ days a year. i have never had a problem with the TPS. i call bull shit on this one

on the other hand crankshaft position sensor and neutral safety switch have given me nothing but problems

They seemed a little bit narrower than the LeBaron vents. I thought high and back would be the best place to vent as much hot air as possible. Plus once I started cutting there was no going back. Farther out from each other might have been better but I've had no problems yet with rain or snow. With all the posts on here of people using LeBaron hood vents, positioning them in roughly the same spot, and not using drip trays, I felt safe putting them there.

cklaus said:
the european diesel XJs apparently had vents OEM. (at least this Orvis did... yes this guy said an Orvis XJ). check out the pics in his auction http://cgi.ebay.com/1999-JEEP-CHEROKEE-ORVIS-TD-DIESEL-PATRIOT-BLUE_W0QQitemZ270074277270QQihZ017QQcategoryZ116505QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
kind of a neat tidbit of info that somewhat fits into this thread.

Wow, that´s the second pic of an Orvis I´ve seen on the net.

Not all european diesels had this hood vents, only the Orvis-vehicles and they are quite rare.

I´ve asked the local stealership about the Orvis/5.9er vents - yes, they can order them, for about $600,- - sure!

yo steve show everyone the rest of your rig

its a shame you just show them the hood, like the rest of your jeep isnt worth seeing

its the cleanest one around our parts IMO:lecture:

BlueGerbil said:
Wow, that´s the second pic of an Orvis I´ve seen on the net.

Not all european diesels had this hood vents, only the Orvis-vehicles and they are quite rare.

I´ve asked the local stealership about the Orvis/5.9er vents - yes, they can order them, for about $600,- - sure!

when i was in Europe last june i seen turbo diesel xjs alot (mainly in Itatly) and alot of them were the "Orvis" kind your talking about

i thought they were just into aftermarket hoods :doh: looks like i dont know as much as i think i know:dunce:

interesting how the factory put them near the front of the hood.

hEY adamusmc2002, May suggest the adjustable brass furnace vents, like the kind my gramma has in her livingroom? They'd look pretty sweet!

I bought the white plastic register vents from Lowes. They come with folding slats and a black plastic inner frame. I took apart the slats and the black inner frame and just used the white plastic cover. I spent $8 I think and they look better than those metal register vents fo sho.

Back