• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Vents

Hmm Hood Vents?

• It would be worthwhile and would help

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • temp changes would be insignificant

Votes: 28 11.8%
  • Hood vents are totally a JU mod!

Votes: 35 14.8%
  • This poll is really old and people should stop voting.

Votes: 12 5.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Update - Well my LeBaron vents have been on for about a year now. The amount of heat that boils out on a hot day is quite impressive! Engine temps on trail rides have definitely been lower - I'll venture an honest guess of 5* lower, maybe up to 10*.

Gary E said:
I think they help, certainly did not completly solve the problem. A lot of heat definatly boils out of them. They are right over the radiator so you can feel lots of heat coming out of them with the fan blowing.

Slows down the cooking time though, doesn't it? ;)

Jes

Since everyone is doing updates:

louverfront.jpg

louverrear.jpg

Just primered for now (epoxy primer is a must on louvers).

Works great. The only issue I have had is we had a really bad rain (torrential downpour), and I got some moisture in my dist cap, only ran on 4 or 5 cyl. I'd like to make a rubber boot to go around it like the 5.0 Mustangs have, or seal the cap and make a breather.

Steve

Willis said:
Since everyone is doing updates:

louverfront.jpg

louverrear.jpg

Just primered for now (epoxy primer is a must on louvers).

Works great. The only issue I have had is we had a really bad rain (torrential downpour), and I got some moisture in my dist cap, only ran on 4 or 5 cyl. I'd like to make a rubber boot to go around it like the 5.0 Mustangs have, or seal the cap and make a breather.

Steve

Those are cool (yes....its a pun). How did you do it?

My uncle is into building street rods. He has the louver machine upstairs in his garage. This type of job would usually cost around $300 plus painting. It's nice to have connections.

Steve

what about just making some hood riser mounts that fit on the hood hinges and raise the hood on the windshield side about .5-1"? that would probably work too, but may not be as appealing as the hood vents...

brandon

f9e1d95b.jpg

Here's a shot of my 87 with 82 Datsun 280zx hood vents.

I don't know if they have any effect, but as crammed as my engine compartment is with the york OBA it needs all the heat venting it can get.
I can see the heat rising out out them so they must be doing some help.

EDIT: thanks to Imagestaion for the big fat red X... grr.. I'll see if I can fix it, in the meantime, a link to the album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288281175

Last edited:
Digger87xj said:
f9e1d95b.jpg

I don't know if they have any effect, but as crammed as my engine compartment is with the york OBA it needs all the heat venting it can get.

I couldnt get the pics to come up. I have a set from a 280z that I am going to put in ASAP. Can you email me the pics ([email protected]). I was wondering how they will look.

These are the 79-81 vents that I bought.

78_1.JPG

Here are mine.

nye%20felger.JPG

Cost 10 bucks or something, they are vents for house foundations, and I believe they won't let much water in when it's raining. I've placed them on the back of the hood, as I've been thinking what a few others here have, that heat is rising and getting trapped in the back where it's the highest. I also figure the drivers side's is the most important one, as the exhaust manifold is there. They work great, no boiling since installing them.

However I've been worried about heat-up-times, and not keeping warm on highways in the winter, I've considered a hatch under the hood, with wires into the cabin.. pull once stay open, pull again to close them. If it's room...

Gary E said:
My jeep runs a little hot on the trail and when going up hills, It doesn't help that its black. I was thinking about putting some vents on probably household ac vents. The radiator is a couple of years old, the system has been converted to open. the cooling system seems fine. I also have a manual switch for the newer style electric fan.

I would put the vents on the leading edge of the hood, which would be a low pressure area at highway speeds and right above the gap between the radiator/motor for good efficiency at slow speeds. What are your thoughts would it make a diffrence?

i like the idea of the boat vents that is one thing i didn't think about. as for me i am about to install the house ac vents towards the back of my hood with boat bilge fans under them to pull the air from the engine bay on a switch so when on the trail i can turn them on and on the road i can have them off and the boat fans run on 12 vdc so they are a breeze to hook up.

Digger87xj said:
f9e1d95b.jpg

EDIT: thanks to Imagestaion for the big fat red X... grr.. I'll see if I can fix it, in the meantime, a link to the album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288281175

Which way are they facing. From the photo it looks like the louvers are facing forward!! I think I would have got two from the same side just to even it up, but thats just me. :spin3:

shimmy said:
what about just making some hood riser mounts that fit on the hood hinges and raise the hood on the windshield side about .5-1"? that would probably work too, but may not be as appealing as the hood vents...

brandon
Go over to Pirate and find any post by BrettM. Click the link in his sig to see the pictures of his truck. He did that on his MJ. Or you could PM him here, he's mad maXJ

Gojeep said:
Which way are they facing. From the photo it looks like the louvers are facing forward!! I think I would have got two from the same side just to even it up, but thats just me. :spin3:
thats the way they sit on the datsun... the drivers side has the scoop. the way they are angled, two of the same side would not sit correctly.

Gojeep said:

no way.. Don's (digger) vents look waaay better in person. i typically just don't care for the look but his looks super slick. :cool:

wascobi said:
I looked at some of those t/a vents and they seemed to have a twist in them to match the body line. any problems fitting them flush? did you have to open the actual vent part? been thinking about those for a while now!

The T/A vents have a lil lip and screw holes on the back side that holds the vent to the hood. As for the body line dif, it's so small it didnt bother me much. You can fill in the gap with some RTV if you like. Yake your time when you go to cut and mount them up, make sure you have them in the place you want before you cut, a jig saw works great for the cuts...andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back