• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hood vents

20 bucks for stainless steel grill sheets from Lowes. I do not have pans under them because if it rains I run for cover anyway. My doors are off from May to November.

DSCN2824.jpg

A slow walk through a big wrecking yard could be the answer. i think the cowl hood is the best as the vacuum next to the windshield will pull out heat and there is no rain leak, it's only money.

A slow walk through a big wrecking yard could be the answer.

i think the cowl hood is the best as the vacuum next to the windshield will pull out heat and there is no rain leak, it's only money.

Vacuum pulling out heat ????

One weekend when you have some spare time ....

Put some spacers on the hood hinges to partly create a cowl hood effect,
Tape some tell-tails along the rear of the hood from corner to corner,
Tape some tell-tails along the plenum chamber cover from side to side,

And watch what happens in front of the windscreen at different speeds ... ;)

I don't know for a fact, but I was always told there is a vacuum about where the windshield meets the cowl or at the rear of the hood caused by the air flowing over the hood and up the windshield. The idea being to pull air through the radiator and get it out of the engine compartment. That is why hood scoops don't really cool much because the air they scoop prevents air from flowing through the radiator. For max cooling you want to pull air thru the radiator and then get it out of the engine compartment. If big hood vents help, just remove the hood for max cooling, just kidding. I have no real proof on this, just what I have herd and a few years of life.

I actually saw a goodwill that had 11 lebarons all lined up. 5 of them were turbos lol. Ive never rationalized stealing so much lol. They were there for about a week or so, then all gone the next. During cash for clunkers I came across four sets in the local junkyards.

Since then Ive found a pair of lumina z34 vents that actually have drip pans. They dont look as easy to install, but there is a write-up here. I chose to go with them over the lebaron vents because they were all I could find with drip pans.

Other ones to look for are early 90s Pontiac grand prix gtp. Ive only seen one hood that came with them; they were already stripped when I saw it.

Apologies to the OP ... hope ya find some good looking vents ...

I don't know for a fact, but I was always told

1/ there is a vacuum about where the windshield meets the cowl or at the rear of the hood caused by the air flowing over the hood and up the windshield.

2/. The idea being to pull air through the radiator and get it out of the engine compartment.

3/. That is why hood scoops don't really cool much because the air they scoop prevents air from flowing through the radiator.

4/. For max cooling you want to pull air thru the radiator and then get it out of the engine compartment.

5/. If big hood vents help, just remove the hood for max cooling, just kidding.

6/. I have no real proof on this, just what I have herd and a few years of life.

1 ... and 6 ..... Have some fun and have a play with a ball of wool and some hood spacers. Try blocking the inducted air at the centre rear of the hood too - in a test drive as well ....

2 ... Rear of the engine bay is sealed except for the big vent called a tranny tunnel ... Think tranny tunnel - and have another look at the underhood hotspot examples in the link I posted earlier.

3 ... Wayward and unwanted, uncontrolled induction airflow is generally prevented by vehicle designers ..... Thats why proper induction hoods / scoops - have ducting to control the airflow to an intercooler or an airfilter etc ....

What they can do ( speed dependant ) is disrupt that flow you mentioned in item 2 ... especially if fans are under performing or there is something causing restricted airflow at the front.

4 ... :thumbup:

5 ... For a - trail only rig, with a decent fan shroud ... no reason why not ... :)

Last edited:
84 Chrysler Laser turbo hood vent, $5 from the JY
100_3485.jpg

100_3488.jpg

CIMG5072.jpg

810909802_C3L5E-M-1.jpg

It puts out a LOT of heat, on a clam day, I can see heat waves coming out of it at the top of my line of sight of my windshield, a good 3' off the hood.

It mounts a little awkward in factory form, with little posts that hang down with studs coming out, I tried mounting it like that, but it wasn't working out too well. Finally after seeing how the LeBaron vents mount, I decided to copy it. I cut the posts off, and drilled a few holes in the recessed area around the edge, and made similar brackets to what Erics XJ did for the LeBaron vents.

It puts out a LOT of heat, on a clam day, I can see heat waves coming out of it at the top of my line of sight of my windshield, a good 3' off the hood.

same thing with my lebaron hood vents, the heat waves come up a few feet

Back