• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Homebrew motor mount with control arm bushing

jimmydaux

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I finally got around to building a new motor mount. It definitely looks frankenstein but I'm thinking it will be pretty stout and keep the drivers side mount from ripping apart. I used a piece of 2" galvanized pipe that I slotted and formed around the bushing. The piece of pipe was welded to the modified mount and then a strap was run over the top for added strength. I didn't want to have to use a press to install the bushing, so it was fitted to be snug, but has the set screw on top to keep it from working its way out. It still needs to be painted and tested, but I'm ok with how it turned out.

DSC07920.JPG

DSC07921.JPG

Definately not the proper way to do it !!

I definitely didn't claim to be a pro welder. The small welds were just to hold the strap on there to get it bent around the pipe. $100 for those mounts is a lot more than free, which is what I was going for. If you guys think they'll just fall apart I wont run them and I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:
feedback;

the 'mount' seems flimsy, is that 1/8" metal that the bushing is welded too?
if that 'set screw' is the only thing holding the bushing in place, I wouldn't expect it to stay there long. IE tighten it down, install, run it, torque/vibrations cause screw to become loss as sleeve compresses, re-tighten screw, run it, repeat. sooner or later you run out of screw to tighten down, and your only putting pressure on 2 small areas to keep that bushing in place.

the idea is good, but some more work is required to do it right.

idea;
grab some aftermarket bushings that slip in fro either side with a sleeve through the middle for the bolt to float in.
grab the right size ID tube weld it to some bent 3/16" (like you have but heavier duty) that way you have a bushing that is strong, replaceable, and easy to service if need be.

feedback;

the 'mount' seems flimsy, is that 1/8" metal that the bushing is welded too?
if that 'set screw' is the only thing holding the bushing in place, I wouldn't expect it to stay there long. IE tighten it down, install, run it, torque/vibrations cause screw to become loss as sleeve compresses, re-tighten screw, run it, repeat. sooner or later you run out of screw to tighten down, and your only putting pressure on 2 small areas to keep that bushing in place.

the idea is good, but some more work is required to do it right.

idea;
grab some aftermarket bushings that slip in fro either side with a sleeve through the middle for the bolt to float in.
grab the right size ID tube weld it to some bent 3/16" (like you have but heavier duty) that way you have a bushing that is strong, replaceable, and easy to service if need be.

Better yet,just call JKS or Rocklogic and buy some machined bushing cradles and do it right.My sons Vortec conversion keeps eating mounts by the month.I told him from day 1 to just make a mount that used CA bushings but he wanted to try the stock Chevy's.Well he's gone thru 3 sets in less than 4 months!

maybe breathing those galvanized fumes will make you a better welder,
OR
make you forget how to post pics... either way, great.
sinse your a vendor, i dont feel bad telling you it looks like shit

It looks a little rough but I bet it works just fine. Its a 4.0 its not a fire breathing race engine. Run It!

Hmmm.... for some reason I thought brown dogs would be way more expensive! I see a pair of motor mounts added to my list! :D
they are AWESOME, i have a set on each of my XJ

I definitely didn't claim to be a pro welder. The small welds were just to hold the strap on there to get it bent around the pipe. $100 for those mounts is a lot more than free, which is what I was going for. If you guys think they'll just fall apart I wont run them and I appreciate the feedback.
free maybe, but how much time do you have into those? time is money, and $100 for the last motor mounts you will ever need to buy are worth it in my book. cust. service is AWESOME. he sent me out a set of rubber bushings when he first started using them because i got a poly set from him. free shipping too, and much cheaper than the MORE mounts. don't have to think about them either

ingenious.

I would have used some DOM or plumber's pipe instead were it me.

I have the M.O.R.E. mounts which are basically the same thing. frankly, I'm lucky that they came with my motor and everything or I would have done the same thing, except I can machine that sleeve out of 3/8" wall DOM tubing

Back