• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home made flares

Sorry for a late reply

Well here is a good shot with the new flares installed.
Conveyer belting. Works good.
DSCF0590.JPG

dont you hate when you have an idea to post but you dont wanna look like a tard and say something someone already posted so you read through the whole thread and get to the end and realize the thread is weeks old and the issue is no long up for discussion :(

I was gonna say TJ warn flares... there the widest I know of... but nevermind...

I have been wanting to ask you this but never got around to PM'ing you about it... how did you change your name from Okie Terry to OT? maybe im wrong but I always remeber it being Okie Terry...

It was.
I just wanted a change, as "Okie Terry" just always seemed kinda, well, hokie.
"OT" is short sweet and easy to remember.
Put in a request in the user's support forum, stating what you want it changed to.
You were planning on becoming a member, right?

OT said:
They do?
Your Jeep is still covered with mud.:dunno:
Considering I covered it 2" thick front to back without them in 2wd last time(40' rooster tails). They work frekin awsome. Once I get some rocker guards built they will block the rest of the mud.

WickedWild said:
Considering I covered it 2" thick front to back without them in 2wd last time(40' rooster tails). They work frekin awsome. Once I get some rocker guards built they will block the rest of the mud.
:thumbup:

Those are amazing, I was trying to do something like that, or well.. never got to trying, just ran out of time/money before I could get to it, but now I have a job again, so how much shipped to 02338? heh. Question for those of you running the lawn edging.. How did you connect it to the fender if it has to be perpendicular to the body and there are few if any sufficient places on the edging to mount through. How you have to cut and bend the rear fender rather than cutting... would it be practical to do that front and rear and bend them out rahter than in and use that as a mounting place, since that would follow the fender opening exactly and provide a surface perpendicular to the body of the Jeep?

So WickedWill -

Regarding your first pic, please tell us you were pulling those Wranglers backwards thru that mud pit...:wave1:

SteveT said:
So WickedWill -

Regarding your first pic, please tell us you were pulling those Wranglers backwards thru that mud pit...:wave1:
Caught a wave and stalled it I thought I sucked mud into the engine.

K, here's an out-of-the-box idea that I've had for some time. I saw a set of axle-mounted flares on an offroad forklift, sort of a plastic or poly material. They're mounted to the axle knuckles with angle iron, holding the molded flare within 2" of the tire tread.
A company named minimizer.com makes the flare, and you would have to fab up some sort of mounting system. It would have to mount to the knuckle or axle tube, and go up and attach to the flares. I thought of using 2 or 3 strips of flat-bar per wheel... drill and tap the knuckle, and mount the flares using the flat-bar.
Obviously, you would have to order the correct size flare for your wheel diameter, and figure out how to mount it.

This way, the flare would move with the tire, and you wouldn't have to attach any sort of flare to the jeep body. I think it could work great, but haven't got around to trying it.
An added benefit may be that that the tire would also be protected from any sheet metal edges... should a bump stop fail etc... This flare has 'lips' on the edges and covers the entire tread, keeping everything clean. A downside may be that, should a tire catch the flare, it could bend the mounts etc. These flares have 'ribs' in them I believe, allowing screw-heads or small bolts to be in the recess, so that the tire can't contact them.

Just a thought. :idea:

i seen some really wide home made flares a while back the guy used a couple of hd plastic trash bin just cut off the bottom and cut it in half and there ya go 2 flares just cut them to length... may not look all pretty and fancy but they are cheep and work...

Back