• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

holset cummins turbo on a 4.0L

got both of them yesterday. the compressor impeller split in two on one of them and the shaft is broke on the other. no major damage other that the ovbious. got a rebuild kit ordered and will have one of them spinning soon.

holsets.jpg

the one on the left is the one with the broke compressor and the one on the right is the one that had a broken shaft. they are both apart right now, i have a rebuild kit on the way. and i am going to use the broken parts to make up another turbo for mock-up.

your going to need some big sticks to spool an hx40, im gonna be running an hx55 on my 24v cummins and it needs BIG fuel:guitar:

Are you the guy Ian was talking about?

If so , FOR THE LOVE OF MAN, Do not make it blow black smoke its not cool and just wastes fuel!

Last edited:
the only was it would blow black smoke is if it was a diesel. the one thing i want opinions on is a stack. i was pondering running 4 inch exhaust and the ending it with a single 6 inch miter cut stack, dunno what side yet though. what do you all think. its only a thought for now.

um from cummins forum, there is no way that 4liter is going to spool that hx35. If it does it will be time to shift anyway. Find a smaller ihi turbo.

the only was it would blow black smoke is if it was a diesel. the one thing i want opinions on is a stack. i was pondering running 4 inch exhaust and the ending it with a single 6 inch miter cut stack, dunno what side yet though. what do you all think. its only a thought for now.

I was talking to that soot king guy. I know you are putting it on a 4.0! Duh! :D

I'm not sure how a stack would look, but they're easy to mock up. I do think 1 would be better than 2. I like the look of a turbo exhausting right through the front fender, but that isn't very street friendly :gee:

um from cummins forum, there is no way that 4liter is going to spool that hx35. If it does it will be time to shift anyway. Find a smaller ihi turbo.

Wrong. The turbo he had before is actually a larger turbine T4 turbo. The HX40 is still a T3 variant, with about the same size compressor. In other words, this turbo will be more responsive than what he had.

HX30 turbos are also used on the 3.9L Cummins engines... so I wouldn't see why it should be too much of an issue on a 4.0... the only thing is what is the compression like on a 3.9 Diesel compared to our 4.0??? If you can figure out the HX30 series would work well for the 4.0, then you could throw the HX40 on the compressor side with the HX30 hot side... to make some nice boost numbers... I have been thinking about either going turbo on my 4.0 or swapping in a 3.9L Cummins.... which will give me some nice torque numbers...

i havent disappeared, i am just waiting on parts and trying to get the heat working in the garage so that i won't become a Popsicle when i am out there more than 10 minutes.

here is the start, the jeep that i brought home.
its an 89 comanche, yes i know its an mj but i originally started with an xj.

from the factory it was a 2.5L 5speed 2wd. got a 93 cherokee for a donor
and swapped in the 4.0L 5speed 4wd drivetrain.

downsized_1014091311a.jpg

next came the lift. i did a soa in the rear with a 4in block. up front are rustys 4.5 in springs with 2 in spacers. its sitting on an almost bald set of 33x12.50's. i swapped out the 3.07 for the locked 3.55 front end i had. and threw away the dana 35 in the rear and installed the 8.25 from my old cherokee. here is the only pic i have of it lifted so far. the weather is finally clearing up so more pics will be coming soon.

1129091246.jpg

Back