• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HOCKEY PUCK LIFT

88XjLaredo said:
Are you sure that your tires are suppose to be 195? OEM specs are 225. Hockey pucks are really only designed to be used as bump stops. You should try a spacer and shackle lift. It will give you an inch so that should be plenty for a 235.

No. Hockey pucks are designed to be hockey pucks.

How do you know your tires are rubbing, is it a sound or marks on the wheelwells? Front? Rear? You can put 30x9.50x15 on without them rubbing. If the rear is sagging really bad you WILL get rubbing with tires that size. You should think about just getting longer shackles for the rear. The front should be fine. The problem is that you'll like the way it looks lifted a bit and end up feeling the sickness to go bigger.

Ben H said:
No. Hockey pucks are designed to be hockey pucks.
Maybe in Canada.

hockey pucks could be used as coil spacers for the front. then all you need to buy are longer shackles. shocks should be ok for a while if your only going to lift an inch or so.

tigerShark said:
hockey pucks could be used as coil spacers for the front. then all you need to buy are longer shackles. shocks should be ok for a while if your only going to lift an inch or so.

I think the hockey pucks would fall out up front or fall through the coils.

-Alex

tigerShark said:
?
I think you meant they could be used as bumpstops.

If the back is sagging enough to rub and you raised the front and the rear 2", it would still have that same "rear sag" look. It would just do it 2" higher all around though.

Thanks for the laugh guys! :laugh:

Hockey puck = Bumpstop (U.S.), Hockey Puck/Bumpstop (Canada)
They can not be used for lift, but do make a great bumpstop, I use them front and rear :)

Seriously though, when does it rub? If it only rubs when turning (my first guess), chances are the tires are just hitting the LCAs, and you just need to adjust your steering stops. The tires you are running are wider than stock as well, and without different wheels or spacers, you will have to sacrifice some turning radius (not much, you probably won't even notice).

As far as a lift, the XJ and MJ are unlike other Jeeps in that they use leaf springs in back, with a linked front. In other words, you could swap SOME parts to a different kind of Jeep in the future, but not the full kit.

Search around on this site for some great budget lift options. The search function is your best friend!
Just some things to search for:
-Bastard Pack
-Budget Boost
-T-bird coils (yes, car springs can lift an XJ!)

Also keep in mind there are other parts, besides springs, that go along with a lift. A good idea is to look at a good, high dollar lift, and see what parts it includes/needs. Then find the "budget" alternative for each part. RE (Rubicon Express) is great for this because they list each part individually, and sell a complete kit.

Good luck, and welcome to NAXJA :cheers:

Ba-Riedo said:
I think the hockey pucks would fall out up front or fall through the coils.

-Alex
guess im not too familiar with the size of hockey pucks being a FL boy. i know they are some kind of hard rubber.

Yes, hockey pucks were only designed to be used as bump stops, it's the hockey players who got it wrong a long time ago. They should be playing with IED's to finally make it an interesting sport.

Well I don't see how 235's could be rubbing at all??? I've had 2 different sets of them on my jeep, with zero rubbing whatsoever. Not full lock, not half lock, not going straight. Nothing. Now I run 30x9.50's, and yes they WOULD rub a tiny bit, but I got some soft 8's at the same time. And yes with 4 people in the car they do rub the flares over bumps. Badly.

Yes, they would rub with as much sag as he has. But when I had mine on stock suspension at Moab, they DIDN"T rub.

they only rub when i turn, but if i go wheelin' and flex the suspension as well as turning it would be a mess. So far I'm thinking of a 3" lift from a local place and doing it myself. My buddy put a 3.5 " on his WJ, he did it pretty easily. Is it the same difficulty with an XJ, by the way, will the 16 years of rust underneath it make the lift any harder? If so where? Thanks again.

Yes it will make it harder. On all the bolts that have to be removed. Start PBblasting everything you're gonna need to take off now. And do so everyday until you put the lift on.

Back