• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hitch mounted spare tire carrier

Huh, ok that's where I thought you meant. Yeah I dunno, but in my cargo area between the seat and hatch I can't fit my 31" bfg's. I tried puttin a spare back there when I first got it and I'm about 3" short of closing the hatch. Does anyone know if the cargo area in a 96 sport is smaller than the other models?

I used to carry my 33 on the floor in the back and had no problems shutting the hatch.

Did I miss it, or has no one offered a suggestion of carrying the spare on the roof? If you don't have rails up there already, hit up the junkyard, or Craigslist yourself a basket/rack for cheap and tie it down up there. If it were me I wouldn't want the hitch mount spare getting in the way of a good recovery point, or access to the cargo area for tools or recovery gear. Plus the fact that things gotta come out of the receiver a good few inches at least, and that's departure angle sacrificed.

Tried mounting my spare in a roof basket, too much weight up high, and quite a hassle to get it up and down.

I also just ratchet strap mine down in the back, gotta build a swingout at some point...

I have a Yakima rack up on my roof right now, my spare rarely comes down, Except when it comes time to cycle it into rotation...Shouldn't be too much of a hassle unless you're taking it down every night. (and yea, by tied - i meant ratchet strap) Mines got a camo ratchet strap securing it in place, that way they wont see me comin.....

Mine is a 31x10.50x15.... even a 33x112.50x15 isnt all THAT heavy. Now obviously if your running 35x13.50's or larger, then I could see some validation as to it being a little difficult to get to, but still.... how often are you really messing with your spare?

Well it made it suck for freeway offramps, cornering, so I would only take it on wheeling trips.
At 5'9" I. Would have to lift a 33 over my head and then some to get it into the basket. Rolling it up the hatch, then climbing up the door handle to strap it down, major pita.

I guess if your the hulk, or 8 feet tall it would be no problem...

Back