• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

High Compression 4.7L Stroker (Pics)

The RENIX system has one O2 sensor that reads gases from the exhaust manifold to adjust the fuel mixture. It could care less what’s behind it.

The catalytic converter is not a magical device the engine needs to be adjusted a certain way for it to be effective. With the current system I have no real control over the engine. It was never designed for my application. At the moment a catalytic converter would be ineffective. I’m working on a new engine management system where it could be possible to run one.

Maybe I’ll go back to what I had before an engine dripping with oil and transmission fluid blowing black smoke out the back with a catalytic converter from 1989, then everyone would be happy.

MegaSquirt. It controls the fuel and ignition. You buy a circuit board all the components and solder it yourself. I would like to completely remove the original engine computer. Its going to be a while I still have a lot of things to work out.

That is what I thought. Let us know how it turns out. I had thought of using MS, but 1) If I removed the stock PCM I would need to replace my gauges, 2) some places need OBD II for emissions, 3) time. learning curve. Will you be running the engine as it is with the factory PCM or not?

You listed some of the problems. I’m going to get everything built then transfer it over when I feel like I have it all figured out. It works how it is now and I could probably live with it but where is the fun in that.

The catalytic converter is not a magical device the engine needs to be adjusted a certain way for it to be effective. With the current system I have no real control over the engine. It was never designed for my application. At the moment a catalytic converter would be ineffective. I’m working on a new engine management system where it could be possible to run one.

Maybe I’ll go back to what I had before an engine dripping with oil and transmission fluid blowing black smoke out the back with a catalytic converter from 1989, then everyone would be happy.

You're missing the point. You went through all that trouble to put together - what everyone agrees is - an AWESOME exhaust system... couldn't you extend a fraction of that effort to buy a new cat so you can help out the environment one tiny bit?

I'm not trying to sound like a tree-hugger, and I'm sorry to whore this thread, but I'm always left in utter shock when people get defensive (rude even) when you tell them to put a cat back on their vehicle. New high-flow cats are relatively cheap, and if you can afford a stroker you can certainly afford a cat.

I will put one on. With a catch I never want to hear another word about catalytic converters, the color Green, the environment, emissions controls, tree huggers, etc. in a thread that I start. You bore me so much to the point where I would stop posting. I don't want a pat on the back or any good for you junk. We will never speak of this. Now entertain me with engine speak.

I am curious with the 10.6 comp ratio, do you have any detonation? Mine is around 10.7 and Pings under light throttle.. I have a adjustable map, adjustable fuel press reg, and a Bosch 044 hi press fuel pump, with 24lb ford motorsport injectors. Also are you running the short rod or the 4L rod?

No ping. Short 258 connecting rods.

I like shinny.

I don't know the dynamic compression ratio. The valve springs and quench are things my brother worked on for me and I told him I wouldn't share that information. All I can say is the springs are not the standard type everyone is using.

The crank and rods came from ebay. Crank is a rebuild. The ebay rods are not identical I should have used something else. I didn't find that out until the bottom end was finished.

I don't know the dynamic compression ratio. The valve springs and quench are things my brother worked on for me and I told him I wouldn't share that information.

Whats the big secret?

He’s a car nut and protective of his work.

LOL, quench is top secret I guess.

Since you were using the KB pistons I was curious what the quench was. Its not like its a top secret deal, as its either good or bad and they is a pretty good range of whats good or bad. You won't have to worry about me passing you because I changed my quench to match yours. You just have to worry about the mud and rocks that fall of mine as I pass you ;) and I didn't even check for quench I just slapped the bitch together :D.

I am dying to build a long rod stroker though :(. I built this one so fast since it was my DD and it was down. Didn't check quench or take real time to do the little things. It is Balanced but thats the closest thing to trick its got in it lol. I guess I need to get this damn barracuda running first before I build another jeep motor.

Back