• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hidden Winch Questions

Ron Hyslop said:
Found my stuff from Ramsey, the guy I talked to was Sam Wood in Ramsey engineering in Tulsa, tel 918-438-2760.

Ron did you do this recently? 'freaknwhite commented that he though the parts were out of production.

Anybody know if an REP 8000 is the same size as a 6000?

Ok, I think most of the questions can be naswered in this thread about the factory winch tray. I built one there are pictures in there. It was origonally built for a 6K not 8K like I posted, but When I can get up with Andy at the Carolina Rock Shop I will be putting an 8K on it. Mine is different in that I put that cheesy fron on it not the factory bumper. However, the tray can be easly reproduced its the brackets that move the bumper forward that I have yet to work on. The recent illness of my Step-Daughter has really limited my building and wheeling!

Thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24496&page=1&pp=15

Took me a while to search for it! LOL!

Ron Hyslop said:
1901.jpg

1903.jpg
I just got back from the junkyard(I was there earlier this week looking for axles) and scored a set of these brackets. I took them off and the lady at the front desk told me merry Christmas! So I got a set for FREE!!! All I thought I was getting was tow hook brackets, but they have the extra set of holes.

thought you guys might find this helpful (i saved it from the CO XJ list last year in case i ever got around to doing this mod):

Date:X TueXSepX9,X2003X 2:46 pm
Subject:X Hidden Winch Mount - Final Chapter

Talk about beating a dead horse...but I thought it might be
interesting for everyone to know where things more or less ended up.

The German company referred me to Ramsey - turns out it was Ramsey's
product they were selling all along (but didn't name).

Ramsey's site currently lists and has downloadable instructions for
a "Hidden Kit, #295153, for 1984-1994 XJ's. Got me all excited but
it turns out Ramsey discontinued the kit. I did however, get a
couple of great responses from the head designer and tester at
Ramsey, Bob Webb. Here's the back and forth correspondence between
myself and Bob...
"I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, and I want to mount my REP8000
winch using the #295153 Hidden Mounting Kit. Upon printing the
instructions from your web site, I noticed two issues that I would
like to inquire about. The first is the 295153's year range of 1984-
1994. Is there any reason why it wouldn't work on my '95, and if so,
what are the differences? Secondly, the instructions make reference
to three REP series winches; the 6000XJ, 5000XJ, and 4500XJ. Any
reason the kit wouldn't apply to my REP8000 as well?"

"The 295153 kit is no longer available and did not accommodate a
rep8,000 winch. The special winches that were sold for that kit had
a special hawse fairlead that fit the contour of the bumper and the
kit was designed to only pull 6,000# (per Chrysler/Jeep).

The shifter position was also clocked different. The Rep 8,000
solenoid box will not fit with out modification and the winch mounts
to where it pulls straight off the feet (normal mounting is pulling
90 degrees from the feet or through the feet).

Damage will occur to the rep 8,000 if you pull straight off of the
feet. As for the difference between the 94 and 95 models Jeep
changed the front bumper, (the contour of the bumper changed
slightly and they added rubber push guards and end caps).

Technically the kit would still fit but in 1995 Jeep also added air
bags and would not sanction the hidden kit due to possible
interference with the air bag activation. If I can be of any further
help call me (Bob Webb) at 1-800-777-2760 ext.137."

"Thanks very much for the rundown on the mounting kit Bob. I noticed
that Ramsey's catalog does not list a mounting system of any kind
for Cherokees prior to '97. Do you have any recommendations for
mounting this REP8000 on my '95?"

"The 295326 was made for the later models but will fit on the early
models also. It may have some gap between the bumper and the back of
the kit (97 has those bumper guards and end caps) it was in 95 jeep
added air bags and 97 when the bumper change occurred. The frame and
mounting points are the same from 86 to 2001. The combo kit allows
the winch to be mounted upright pulling 90 degrees off of the feet
and was designed to pull up to 9500lbs.

By the way when you install any Ramsey kit from 1983 to present I'm
the one you cuss (I design them and test them). So any time you have
a question just let me know. Bob Webb"

just make sure anybody who actually does this mod gives us a good summary and decent pix!

:cheers:

Gentlemen, this is great info.

As to the C4x4 brackets, it appears they can work with some help. The main part of the brackets has plenty of room to drill the additional holes. What is missing is the extra length on that "tongue" that runs back along the frame rail. I'm sure a decent welder could extand that with little problem, and a new hole could be drilled farther back to duplicate the factory setup.

Between the winch mount sketch and the e-mail exchange with Mr. Webb at Ramsey regarding pulling "off the feet" or through the feet, I'm a bit confused. Does the bracket mount with the two angles closer to the bumper (i.e. forward of the winch), or behind the winch so the winch sits between the mounting plate and the bumper?

Thank you all. I'm seeing older Cherokees all over Santiago with this setup (apparently having a winch makes any vehicle a "work truck," which means a lower tax rate :) ), and I really want one.

Does anyone feel like calling Bob Webb at Ramsey to see if they'd be interested in doing a production run again, for NAXJA? The bracket and the special winch? I don't think an initial iquiry would step on any toes, but if Ramsey shows any interest, it should then probably be turned over to Kudzu to handle the official negotiations.

Last edited:
Eagle, the winch mount nests snuggly to the structural member that spans the frame rails. The winch is bolted to the winch mount so that the bolts holding the winch in place are in tension. The order is winch mount, winch and bumper.

Eagle said:
Links don't work for me. Can everyone else see them?
Yep, they work for me.

I was looking at the C4x4 tow hook mounts that I have, and it doesnt look like they could be moved forward. The back hole is rather close to the end of the bracket. Hang on and let em get some pics of it

Might want to talk to Mike at C4x4 about adding a little extra on the end of the production brackets. He was very accomodating to me about changing his regular front bumper/winch mount to work with a Warn 8274.

OK, here are the pics of mine. This is without a front bumper, btw
Picture009.jpg

Picture008.jpg

These are the C4x4 brackets. Like what Cheropair said, you could have them make them longer if you were going to use these as a base for the winch, but you may as well make your own.

I have a friend that offered to build me bumpers and rockrails. I want rockrails, but did not want to have to replace my bumpers. It would be nice to find if someone could start making these brackets again.

JMotorsprt said:
I have a friend that offered to build me bumpers and rockrails. I want rockrails, but did not want to have to replace my bumpers. It would be nice to find if someone could start making these brackets again.
My thoughts exactly. I need rock rails and a winch, bumpers can wait.

The main problem that i see now that I did not think about was pulling from the feet! It never occured to me untill reading that leter that some winches cannot do that!! Intresting reading that there were three winches desighned for that type of pull and most are not.... Intresting thought.

Back