• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hi-Lift mounted under rear seat (how to)

Thanks, I threw it together last minute before a run. Approach angle may be an issue but so far the lower edge of the bumper has been taking all the hits. I guess I could have mounted it higher but I didnt want to block the Rad.

Awesome, need to do this to get the damn hi-lift off my roof rack. I've had sooo many people ask me what it is over the years, even girls at the drive thru bank teller.

DetoursUSA teased me years ago saying they were making a mounting system to do this exact thing, but never came out with it. Should have known it was such a simple solution.

The first time you need your jack on the trail, you're gonna hate having to dig it out and put it together. $.02

especially if its pouring rain, hailing, lighting, you are on a high granite ridge and you have a flat, been on the trail all day, and have 3 more days of trail ahead of you before you see civilization.....

not that its ever happened to me :eyes:

especially if its pouring rain, hailing, lighting, you are on a high granite ridge and you have a flat, been on the trail all day, and have 3 more days of trail ahead of you before you see civilization.....

not that its ever happened to me :eyes:

I had mine mounted on my roof rack before I put it under the seat. I think if all that weather was going on I would much rather be able to just grab it from inside the jeep then unbolt it from the roof...

The first time you need your jack on the trail, you're gonna hate having to dig it out and put it together. $.02

Obviously, under the rear seat is not the perfect solution for everyone. However, for my setup and what I use my jeep for it's perfect. This is my DD and is used for light weekend wheeling on occasion. Usually all I have on the rear seat is my kid and a cooler I can have the jack out within a minute or two and probably takes 15 seconds to install the baseplate. I don't see it as a problem. If I had a lot of supplies, etc stored on the seat or if it was a 2-door, it would be a hassle. For me it works just fine.

I had mine mounted on my roof rack before I put it under the seat. I think if all that weather was going on I would much rather be able to just grab it from inside the jeep then unbolt it from the roof...

with 2 weeks worth of camping gear sitting on top of it, you may re-consider that. it was much easier to grab one of another rigs roof.

with 2 weeks worth of camping gear sitting on top of it, you may re-consider that. it was much easier to grab one of another rigs roof.

Well sure, in that case, I'd definitely have it on the roof.

But mine has been up on the roof and hasn't moved for probably 4 years, so I'm sure the weather has taken it's toll on it. When I wheel, I try to have as little stuff as possible in the Jeep to bounce around on the trails. Worst thing I'd have to move to get under the rear seat is a small cooler.

Well sure, in that case, I'd definitely have it on the roof.

But mine has been up on the roof and hasn't moved for probably 4 years, so I'm sure the weather has taken it's toll on it. When I wheel, I try to have as little stuff as possible in the Jeep to bounce around on the trails. Worst thing I'd have to move to get under the rear seat is a small cooler.

I try to keep the jeep as light as possible on trails as well. but the wheeling a 4 day long trail 500+ miles from home means having a lot of crap.

I keep the hi-lift inside with the trail box on single day trail runs.

Obviously, under the rear seat is not the perfect solution for everyone. However, for my setup and what I use my jeep for it's perfect. This is my DD and is used for light weekend wheeling on occasion. Usually all I have on the rear seat is my kid and a cooler I can have the jack out within a minute or two and probably takes 15 seconds to install the baseplate. I don't see it as a problem. If I had a lot of supplies, etc stored on the seat or if it was a 2-door, it would be a hassle. For me it works just fine.

The under-seat mounting location would work well for me, too. If I were on some epic expedition and the Jeep were full of gear and 14 illegals, it'd make sense to mount it in a more accessible location, even for a "this trip only" basis.

Back