• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hi lift jack mounting

jonesy72

NAXJA Forum User
hey all im tring to come up with how to mount a hi lift jack .. either on the stock roof rack or on the hood . any pics or advice on doing this would be great
thanks all:wow:

if it is to stay mounted on the outside of the vehicle expect it to not work when you need it, it will rust up quick.

That said I'd go on the roof, a few "u" bolts around the RR cross bars and bolt it through the jack body. Simple, cheep and no modification needed to the Jeep.

I have mine in the plastic case and strap it in the roof basket or to the rear of the back seat. If you remove the foot/base of the jack it should fit under your rear seat.

I have a 48" hi lift in my XJ, but I have it mounted to the sub box that sits right behind the rear seat. It's fits perfect right there. Too long to fit between the wheel wells, but a little higher and it fits nice. A buddy of mine mounted his on the hood of his XJ. Here's a pic.

mihrnm.jpg

Sorry, no pics of a HI-LIFT on the hood. Here's why I wouldn't want it on the hod. This is a rather extreme case of a front-end impact which would send you to the hospital regardless. Still, why add an extra projectile into the mix. The sheetmetal on a hood is very thin. You don't know where that jack is going after a collision or a roll. There are so many other suitable locations to put a HI-LIFT. I don't know why people put them on their hood.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

I had a hi lift mounted on the back bumper of my old CJ7, but by the time I had to use it I could barely get the mechanism to work at all. I sanded that one down, repainted it, lubed it and mounted it to the roll bar in the back. When I put this hi lift in my XJ I had no intention of putting it outside at all. That is why I went with 48" rather than 60". I agree with Markos. I would never put one on the hood of a vehicle either.

I used to have it on the stock roof rack. I just made a wooden piece that it bolted to, and bolted that to the rack.

2176716670-2790.jpg

hey thanks all ..prolly better to mount the jack somewhere inside .. would make for a fun trip ,if i needed the jck and it failed to do its job ..
thanks again

Here's where I used to mount mine:

IMG_2884.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

I only put it up there when I went wheeling. It stayed the garage the rest of the time. I keep a bottle jack under the seat for flat tires.

Back