• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hey From Bellingham

Hans might be the guy to talk to about where to go. I'm pretty sure he's spent a ton of time exploring out that way.
Oh BTW, welcome to the new guys there are more and more of us showing up in Whatcom Co.
-Ryan

Hans might be the guy to talk to about where to go. I'm pretty sure he's spent a ton of time exploring out that way.
Oh BTW, welcome to the new guys there are more and more of us showing up in Whatcom Co.
-Ryan

Thanks Ryan for the bus toss. ;)

I haven't found anything out that way that compares with Tinkham or Jack Pass.

NF 31 is Canyon Creek road is a Snopark during winter months. Big No no.
NF 39 is Glacier Creek. Not too bad but there are some sections you have to cross "bridges" without guardrails with huge drops(50'-100') on both sides.
NF 33 is Wells Creek. Anytime there is snow the first section is overrun with little children sledding. And the first half mile is down hill, which would suck if you couldn't get back up to the highway.
NF 3070 is snowshoe and X-country sking only.
NF 3065 is Twin Lakes road, IF there isn't a 10' wall of ice from the DOT plows. It isn't too bad. kinda steep for a snowrun, it is all about the type of snow. Towards the top there are some unprotected hills that would be a deadly roll. HEAVY snowshoe crowd. from the DOT crews I have talked to, they aren't hot on vehicles going up there, too many vehicle rescues.
NF 37 I have never been up it.
NF 3040 Church mountain rd. I have done a couple runs up there. Not bad when the snow level is low enough.

Sumas Mountian Used TO be GREAT when snow level was low.
Race Horse I have been exploring last year. Lots of potential with a low snow level, IF you don't get run over by a logging truck getting up there.
North Fork over to Canyon Community, has potential. STAY ON THE GRAVEL ROADS.

So IMHO there is no place better to do a run then Jack Pass.

Oh BTW I live in Lynden, But drive around Bellingham all day. And Lyle you also drive with your mouth wide open.:gee:

Hans

NF 39 is also a snopark. No wheeled vehicles past the junction with NF 36. We went to the snow park for snowshoeing a few weekends back, lots of sleds. Wells creek road was gated that same weekend on the south side of the Nooksack. There is a 'gate keeper' but I'm sure its not legal.

Sumas mountain and North Fork road all the way to the top are great snow runs when the snow level is low. If we're lucky enough to get any more snow this year, it might be worth a trek up there to wee what its like. I think I still have my maps....

u guys ever do sumas mt? if u guys ever wanna venture up to vancouver i can take u around to some nice trails!

Last edited:
Any tips on exploring Sumas Mt? I went in off of South Pass road and made it to some views and a wee bit of wheeling. Looked like the road to the summit was blocked off. If I want to get to the top do I need to start off of Mt Baker Highway?

I'm in for tomorrow, but who else?? 11:00 at Cost Cutter parking lot on sunset sound good??

Sorry about not finalizing plans. I did more hiking than wheeling today and didn't leave until 12pm. PM me with your name and # and we can do a better job coordinating.

NF road 38 has lots of great spur logging roads on the left as you head up the road. But NF 38 its self is gated at a bridge about half way up.

Back