• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hesitation issues

egghead

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Will a downstream 02 sensor cause my xj to sputter, hesitate and sometimes pop through the throttle body? I took my catylitic converter off (dont flame me, dont want to hear it) and pitched the 02.. My 99' i did the same and had no problems. Just getting ideas.. Im going to have the fuel presure tested to rule out fuel pump..

Yours truely

Egghead

Sounds more like something up on the motor than 02... What yr XJ?

yes...the downstream o2 will cause this. check the fuses on your o2 heater system. what year is this for btw? my 98 was SUPER sensitive with downstream o2 problems. occasionally it would blow the heater circuit fuse and make the computer run absolutely bananas. it caused hesitation, misfiring, wanting to die on hard acceleration until i took my foot off the pedal and even caused it to pulse at idle. ask mac about his 98 zj

It is a 97'

As i stated there is no longer a downstream 02 on the jeep. I was thinking about welding one in the exhaust. Ive never heard of a "heater circuit fuse" where is it located? In the cab or engine bay?

if you deleted the downstream o2 though, i would put it back in. the pcm is designed to calibrate fuel air ratios using both the upstream and the downstream o2. not having one will effect the way your jeep operates even if people tell you it wont. with a functioning o2 downstream my 98 could pull 22mpg when it was stock and about 18-19 lifted 4.5" on 33's. when the o2 circuit failed or my downstream o2 sensor was removed due to a cat converter fail it would get about 15 in stock form and way less when it was lifted.

Downstream o2s are only there to determine the efficiency of the cat. Fuel trims are ran off the front o2. Unplugging the downstream o2 and taking out the cat won't cause this problem. It'll throw a light but that's about it.

If the wires were cut and shorted out then it'll cause a prob.
I'd look into the wiring and make sure it's not melted together

I ended up taking the throttle body off last night and cleaning all the build up off. It has made a huge difference on the way it runs. I will crawl underneith and check the wiring tonight.. Im not sure if i still have the 02 that came out of the cat. If i do i may add it to the exhaust.. If not and the jeep is still running good ill say eff' it.

Re: Re: Hesitation issues

Downstream o2s are only there to determine the efficiency of the cat. Fuel trims are ran off the front o2. Unplugging the downstream o2 and taking out the cat won't cause this problem. It'll throw a light but that's about it.

If the wires were cut and shorted out then it'll cause a prob.
I'd look into the wiring and make sure it's not melted together
It does effect fuel trim

From a mopar site

]From Star Center News #5, February 2000 -[/B] tests for those who have access to OBD II or OBD III code readers.
Since the introduction of OBDII with both upstream and downstream O2 sensors, the downstream O2 sensor has been used to evaluate catalytic converter operation and to control converter efficiency.
When looking at the upstream goal voltage, it should fluctuate above and below the normal center (.4 to .6 volts) based upon what the downstream O2 sensor is reading. The vehicle should be driven through all speed ranges when checking goal voltage. If the goal stays high or low all the time, a thorough check of the downstream oxygen sensor should be made. Be sure you check the sensor, wiring harness, connectors, catalytic converter, and inspect for exhaust leaks.
Although a MIL lamp may not be illuminated, there are instances when the downstream O2 sensor goal voltage is out of range, causing driveability problems or low fuel economy.
If the downstream O2 sensor tends to stay below center all the time, the PCM will adjust the goal voltage higher in an efforet to correct the low O2 readings of the downstream sensor. This can result in low fuel mileage.
If the downstream O2 sensor has a tendancy to stay above center, the PCM will set a low goal voltage which results in a lean fuel mix which can cause the engine to run hotter and aggravate a spark knock condition.
Sometimes a service technician will reset the PCM and take it for a test drive. The PCM does a recalibration after the reset, and the probelm may go away until the PCM has completed a relearn of the system and then begins to attempt to correct for the downstream sensor error. If the symptoms reappear after several days of driving after a service is performed, check the downstream O2 sensor, the exhaust system, the wiring, and the catalytic converter. Note: a worn out catalytic converter can produce symptoms similar to a bad downstream O2 sensor.

On the 98 ZJ with the 4.0 that I had it had a hesitation issue. The cat was gone and the rear o2 was not reading anything at all when it was checked on live monitoring with an OBD2 scanner. The front o2 was giving some odd readings as well. At WOT it would run like a raped ape.

Put a cat and two new o2 in it and it ran perfect.

mac 'tho the cat and o2s were after I replaced everything else' gyvr

I ran my 98 with no cat or downstream sensor with no problems other than a light for months. The downstream shares ground and heater circuit with the upstream so be sure the harness is not shorted and the heater circuit fuse is good, it’s in the PDC, fuse 15amp, should be number 23.

You can also just plug the sensor back in and tuck it up, should make it happy thinking it’s doing its job. They just don’t usually last long exposed.

Also have you had the codes ran to make sure it’s only throwing P0420?

Last edited:
Back