• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ overdrive, shifting issues!!!!

tylervqz

NAXJA Forum User
so let me begin by saying ive been searching up and down, in and out of forums for months to get this issue resolved and its not going well. So posting here to see what else i can do to fix this thing.

96 cherokee, AW4 trans

having the dreaded falling out of overdrive and weird erratic shifting issues.
175K miles, mostly stock other than a 3 inch lift and 30" tires.
things i have done thus far.
2 different TPS sensors.
changed all shift solenoids
fluid and filter twice.
brake light switch.
cap, rotor, plugs.
pulled off the NSS and cleaned it.
added a zero gauge ground wire to the dipstick ground point.
cleaned all the other chassis grounds.
checked and tested the voltage at the TPS.
tried another TCU.

none of this fixed the issue, the only thing it did fix was the CEL for the TPS.
at this point im wondering if the torque converter is just shot. drives fine manually with the TCU unplugged, when its plugged in...runs like trash. has weird first to second random slip shifts, sometimes! and then when i hit 40-45 OD kicks in and TC locks up if i stay on throttle, if i level out or let off itll fall out. IM LOST.

any ideas?? im about to either sell the thing or yank the engine and trans and do a carbureted small block and turbo 350 swap. pulling my hair out here!

Still acting exactly like a tps. Have you put a analog multi meter on it and watched the needle? I've personally gone through 3 in a week before I got one that worked.

Still acting exactly like a tps. Have you put a analog multi meter on it and watched the needle? I've personally gone through 3 in a week before I got one that worked.

i had a digital one, and rolled it over super slow and it never skipped a beat. thought about ordering a factory one from chrysler but damn..i dont see how it could still be that

The first thing I do for many/any trans issues is to adjust the TV cable.
It may be another issue but start with the TV adjustment.
Odd torque converter lockup is an issue with most 96 models. Most just deal with it, the only fix I've seen offered is a new improved TV actuator arm/cam.
What I'm saying is you may have multiple issues, some worrisome, the other typical.
There is a splice in the TPS harness, it splits and goes in two directions, TCU and motor management. Disconnect both and ohm the cable. It may or may not be the issue but at this point worth a look. tug on the wires at the back of the connector. The pins have been known to back out of the connector and make flaky contact. Also make sure the connector pins are clean, contact spray. A little oil film or coolant in a connector can really mess up conductivity. The connectors are fluid resistant, not fluid proof. It doesn't take much to mess up conductivity on low voltage sensor signals.
If you've checked all the common stuff it is time to look at the uncommon.

The first thing I do for many/any trans issues is to adjust the TV cable.
It may be another issue but start with the TV adjustment.
Odd torque converter lockup is an issue with most 96 models. Most just deal with it, the only fix I've seen offered is a new improved TV actuator arm/cam.
What I'm saying is you may have multiple issues, some worrisome, the other typical.
There is a splice in the TPS harness, it splits and goes in two directions, TCU and motor management. Disconnect both and ohm the cable. It may or may not be the issue but at this point worth a look. tug on the wires at the back of the connector. The pins have been known to back out of the connector and make flaky contact. Also make sure the connector pins are clean, contact spray. A little oil film or coolant in a connector can really mess up conductivity. The connectors are fluid resistant, not fluid proof. It doesn't take much to mess up conductivity on low voltage sensor signals.
If you've checked all the common stuff it is time to look at the uncommon.
i have adjusted the TV cable a bunch of times and all it seems to do is stiffen up the shift points, no effect on TC lockup. i will have to check into the harness next i think, i feel like thats probably the lowest cost troubleshooting at this point.

thanks for the reply guys..i appreciate it!

Back