• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!! Tranny or t-case blew?

spikestrip

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys! So i went out last night and think i may have blown my t-case or tranny. I had backed up in 2 hi, put it in drive, and drove about 25 feet and then nothing! Felt like I threw my driveshaft. I didnt hear anything funny. I can shift through all the gears(drive to first) and nada. I can shift from 2 hi to 4 hi to 4 lo like it is supposed to, no funny noises. No matter if i am in 2hi or 4wd, and in any gear i have nothing. It just revs up(doesnt even jump in 4lo and 1st gear). So do you guys think it is tranny or tcase? Linkages are moving like normal. Also, next to the shifter, my 4lo light is orange and i cant remember if the light is supposed to follow the shifter like the drive, reverse, neutral, etc.. one does. I hope thats enough info....help me out guys!

Have you climbed under and actually looked at the linkage, making sure it didn't become disconnected? Have someone shifting inside, while you are underneath, verifying that the levers are actually moving.

No light follows the shifter in the t-case bezel. They are in the dash, but even then they only work half the time.

Are you sure your clutch is alive still?

Is it a 5 speed? I read you shifted through the gears...

Torque convertor good if it's an auto?

X2, make sure your transfer case is actually in gear before panicking. Have you checked the fluid level in the transmission to make sure you aren't low enough to cause slippage?

OK, I had my buddy get under it and the linkages are moving like normal. Also, my tranny fluid was full, and I drained it and didnt see any metal or anything. Looked and smelled good. It is an automatic tranny. It doesnt make any funny sounds. I tried to jack up the back end and put in 4wd and turn tires and see if the front axle locks up, but i think i did something wrong. My tires just spin...lol. I did notice it had made like a whirring noise in reverse lately(kinda like a standard but more clicky). When i backed up, it was through a big mud puddle, so if it made sounds i didnt hear them(under water). This is my DD, so i need to get it goin. I think i am goin to pull my tranny pan off and if i dont see anything funny i might take back half of t-case off and check my belt. I think i can do that with the t-case still attached. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME! I love jeepforum but they are not helpin at all.

You can check the chain in the t-case by removing the fill and drain plugs and sticking your fingers in iirc, chain should be taut.

As for the pan - getting the dipstick tube disconnected is a pain but otherwise it's easy. If you get a new filter+gasket set at NAPA ignore their parts computer's advice and get an ATP B112 kit not the one it suggests, it is trying to give you the parts for the 3spd auto tranny not the 4spd. It'll come with a new gasket you can use without RTV, make sure you scrape all the RTV clean from the housing and pan, razor blade works great on the housing surface but a brass (NOT steel! using brass avoids damaging the sealing surface) wire wheel works best on the pan. Doubt you'll be able to see anything in the pan but it's worth a try, if it's full of sludge your clutches are gone.

ok, so yesterday i went out and double checked my fluids. they are good. i checked my chain in my t-case, its good. I put it in 4hi and turned the front driveshaft by hand and it rolls the truck and both driveshafts spin. Then i started my truck and put it in drive, and rolled the truck backwards about 10 feet. Same thing with reverse, and it rolls forward. My buddy says he thinks my planetaries are shot. I dont believe it should be able to roll like that. I know if i am in drive on the side of a hill it doesnt roll backwards if i let off the brake. What do you guys think?

Back