• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help on lug nut

I have had some wheels that had enough room for me to use a dremal with a small cut off wheel on the flex shaft. I was able to cut a decent groove and usedo a cold chisel to bust the lug nut off.

Have also drilled them out to. That's the only two ways I have ever done it.

Drill the lug stud , start small work up, I think it is a1/2 stud. This should work ,drill slow and keep it cool or it may work harden,good luck

Well, you could get one of these.......
http://www.lugripper.com/

But expensive for 1 time use.

You could also get a cheaper "bolt" removal kit and see if that works.

Otherwise I would drill the lug stud out and replace it. Heat works well but can ruin the wheel and more if you aren't careful.

You guys ever see the post about the guy who got frustrated and tried to shoot the nut off with a 30-06? It didn't end well....something about fragmentation and ricocheting.

I have one of these bolt extractor kits. Haven't ever used with a lug nut. In decades of owning a vehicle I've never had a lug not that couldn't be removed with a lug nut or star wrench, but I guess it could happen, something hits the lug and it becomes damaged, etc.

There is another type, second pic, that uses reversed threads, used for keylock lug nuts, can also be used to removed regular lug nuts.

An impact wrench helps to remove a nut with which ever socket type tool your using.

Irwin Bolt Extractor

Locking Wheel Nut Remover

Last edited:
Too late. Previous poster already got it (bolt extraction socket).

I guess I was repeating and clarifying myself as in an earlier post I'd mentioned "nut cracker or a nut remover" A "nut remover" is also referred to as a "bolt extractor" and visa versa.

Anyway a nut cracker or nut remover will work if there's enough nut exposed to grip. A nut cracker sometimes works better than a "nut remover" aka "bolt extractor" as it potentially cracks and removes the nut with less hassle.

Back