• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP NEED INFO- BLONDE DUDE NEEDS HELP MANUAL TO AUTOMATIC

purvisdotcom said:
From your PM (hope you don't mind, thought I'd throw this out in the public area too).
I have a BA10 that I am also going to swap for an aw4, I was wondering do you have to add in the auto cable to the throttle. what all modifications need to be done?

Yes you need to add the throttle-tranny cable as it controls the hydraulic pressure and shift firmness. I swapped the plate on the side of the tranny where the throttle and tranny cables attach since the original didn't have the stud for the tranny cable.

As side from ensuring that the spline count is right for your xfer case, you'll need to swap over a lot of other misc stuff. From my short memory you'll need: tranny cable, throttle plate with extra stud, and the cable bracket that attaches to the side of the throttle body; TCU and it's wiring harness which you'll need to dig into the mainharness to splice about 7 wires in; NSS, shifter, bezel and the plate it bolts to; xfer case shifter bracket and linkage; possibly driveshafts if the length changes too much; extra switch on brake pedal that hooks to the TCU (I just added a relay to the existing switch); dual output TPS sensor.

I also ran into a complication that I was trying to use an 89 TCU with a 99 AW4 as the sensors changed a bit in 997/98. Not being able to find a 99 TCU, I built an adapter to convert the sensor signal.

h2opete987 said:
that would be correct. if you have some electrical (soldering and wire tracing) abilities, putting a TCU in isn't all that bad. i put a '99 AW4 into a '96 manual, and controlled it with a '92 TCU.

How did you deal with the rear speed sensor being a different pulses/rev? Swap the rotor and speed sensor? I had this issue trying to run a 99 AW4 with an 89 TCU and ended up building a home-brew converter to divide the 4-pulses/rev down to 1-pulse/rev.

-Chris

lawsoncl said:
How did you deal with the rear speed sensor being a different pulses/rev? Swap the rotor and speed sensor? I had this issue trying to run a 99 AW4 with an 89 TCU and ended up building a home-brew converter to divide the 4-pulses/rev down to 1-pulse/rev.

-Chris

i was originally going to do the pulse divider, but then found the 2 bulb magnetic one and just swapped it in.

Back