• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help. Louisville

XJ-CJ8

NAXJA Forum User
I think I'm in over my head. I thought I could install new rear shackles today. Big mistake. The drivers side bolts are rusted to the bushing sleeves. The top one came out as one piece. I dont even know where to start on the bottom. The new shackles have bushings in the top, but I don't have new bushings for the bottoms/spring side. New springs are coming in the mail this week, but this is my daily driver. So much for doing this in phases.

Any ideas/help would be much appreciated. If anyone lives in the area and would be willing to help I can try and make it worth your while with a check. Also I'll answer phone calls if people don't like typing. Cell number is 319.573.770-nine.

2001 stock suspension.

Thanks
AT

Last edited:
Take a torch and cycle heat on the head of the bolt, you are going to have to do this several times, it should loosen up the rust and allow the bolt to spin out.

Thanks Andy. So if I understand correctly, just heating up the bolt head a bunch will break the bolt free of the bushing sleeve?

Thanks again.
AT

How hot? I'm only using a small propane torch, but the spring bushing is definitley boiling. Should I go hotter, or just keep this up until I run out of daylight?

Also I apologize in advance for my lack of experience.

I just had a small propane too, I got the bolt head red then let it cool for a few minutes then heat it up to red again...

the only problem with this solution is you could ruin the bushing in the leaf spring... but it sounds like you are getting new leafs anyhow.

thinking about it some more why not just wait until you have the new leafs? then you don't need to worry about the leaf to shackle connection on your current setup... the old top bolt came out easy, the only one you have to work on is the front leaf to body.

Got everything back together last night. Just missing a bushing sleeve in one of the shackle bushings. Needed to be able to drive to work today. I'll call a few local shops to see what they're charging. I was having trouble getting the bolt head red hot. Maybe I need a stronger torch, or more patience.

I should have new leafs being delivered this week, so depending on what I hear from shops, your second suggestion may be my route. At this point I may be worth getting some shackle relo brackets too.

Thanks for the help, Andy.

You're close enough to hdoffroad to pick up the relocation brackets.

I just saw this, I am right across the river, can get you hooked up w some relo brackets.

Brian, what do they cost installed (along with the new springs that will be arriving Thursday)? :)

Can you cut the bolt head and the nut off flush with the shackle and then just pry the old leaf out - bushing, stub, and all? That is what I'd do. If the bolt is rusted to the metal sleeve in the bushing, heating the head of the bolt isn't going to do anything to break that rust free. Otherwise, if you choose not to go with the HOBAG relo brackets, Rock Auto has new ones for $50. Get the Dodge Ram ones and that will gain you about 2 inches of lift. I don't have any of Brian's stuff on my rig, but have seen plenty that do and his stuff is stout. It is a good option.

Also, where in Iowa is your parent's farm where you've retired an XJ to? I grew up in Iowa.

oh man. dad must have been a truck driver...

Back