• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello/ Bumpstops

beatassXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I havent been on here in a while and never in this section (i hope ZJ's are ok, i saw one..) so, Hi. Im Pat, im 20, and i used to have a 96 Xj, but i totalled it:guitar:...so i found a 98 ZJ that needed some easy mech work (expensive at a shop) that the owner could not sell. He needed a new carb for a car, i had one, so we traded straight up. 700 in parts later and the Zj is good as new. I throw 4''s at it, 8 adj control arms, 2 trakbars and 33's and its a performer. I love driving it fast over washboards and pretty much anything that is fairly flat and isnt muddy (mud almost killed my xj), but it rubs and rides like dooky.So, Ive colected RE springs for a better ride (i know longarms would help but thats not for a while), im savin my nickles to afford some fox 2.0 emulsions(maybe resi fronts-prolly not needed), and im gonna trim the shit out of it and raise the front a inch or so for that sweet prerunner look, But i need bumpstops...Ramble-over.>This is the question:

What kind of bumps should i look at? I want it smoov so im thinkin maybe acos-pro? or also, i heard teraflex and maybe polyperf.(?) have come out with bumps that look like airbumps but have poly shit in em to dampen. Or should i just go with regular Polybumps and forget about it? Thanks guys!

What about good shocks with built in bumps set up correctly and run the stock bump pads?

Did you total the jeep driving home wasted from a heavy metal concert?:greensmok

Na, but the kid who t-boned me looked like he did.., and what shocks might those be? Im not familiar with em unless you mean those ones you slip over the end..

get real bumps (NOT foa, not shock shaft mounted, if hydro is too much, get traditional progressive foam/rubber ), dont rely on your shock mounts to take the bumps, unless youve strengthened them up, TOP AND BOTTOM.

Welcome to the site. its not that zj's arent allowed, its just that this site focus's on xj's, so stuff that people say might be true about xj's, but couldnt be farther from the truth about zj's.

Last edited:
The main reason I dislike FOA is because of the leaky cast bodies but the supposedly fixed that, I just havent got the need for new shocks or Id go with them, for a mild duty prerunner they would be fine, you can get a very nice set of FOA 2.5 resi's for the same price of 2.0 fox resi's. And on the leaky part, they have excellent customer service and pay shipping to and from and all of the repairs of the leak are free so I would recommend FOA for someone on a budget looking to get into the sport. But bumpstops shouldnt be any different than shocks, Id say go for FOA to save the cash

yeah my friend ran F.O.As on his truck. ripped a shock apart being a dumbass and jumping a street with no limit straps. they fixed it. free

I've said it before. In order to know a company has good customer service.......you have to USE it. I would prefer shitty customer service and not use it.

foa's are $150, foxes are $185, thats $140 you'll save on the entire jeep by going w/ a budget option?

am i being negative on foa? maybe.
are there better options? XXXX YEAH

Foa=Fail
Nothing but problems. If you run FOA bumps I would suggest using a King style can with the captured top so just in case your top cap trys to blow off like mine... Shot like 40' in the air and could have killed someone.

King, Fox, Bils, Radflo, Swayaway, anybody but F&#ked On Arrival!

Foa=Fail
Nothing but problems. If you run FOA bumps I would suggest using a King style can with the captured top so just in case your top cap trys to blow off like mine... Shot like 40' in the air and could have killed someone.

King, Fox, Bils, Radflo, Swayaway, anybody but F&#ked On Arrival!

damn i hadn't realized you thoughts came to that. do you hate your shocks as much as yo do the can's? Your running front and rear foa's right?

I know of a crawler type guy who runs FOA and he claimed they are not all that bad but he said to take them apart immediately and clean/inspect all the parts really well as they do not do a good job with cleaning machining shavings, and some burs here and there. I don't have any experience with them, never actually took a set apart so take that for what it is worth.

damn i hadn't realized you thoughts came to that. do you hate your shocks as much as yo do the can's? Your running front and rear foa's right?

Front shocks leak so I sent them back on my dime and got them back... They still leak. Rear shocks leak and I am not about to waste my money shipping them back again. My buddies shock end fell off and almost harpooned his brake line while driving on the street! Oh did I mention that was on his dd ranger that had not seen the dirt in a month or more...

On top of other failures and leaks they are just hard to deal with. They always say they will ship something out but never seem to remember, they don't keep us up to date on order status, and since they only comunicate through email they pick and choose which questions they want to answer.

Standup company:sure:

I gave them way too much time and money. Buyer beware. Fox shocks are only a little bit more brand new and I have seen nothing but quality from them plus you cannot beat the stainless shock shaft and quality plating on the bodies that makes Failed OA just look silly.

I would'nt run em if they were giv'in to me.. Terrible results from everything ive seen.. Sorry foa.. I dont bash much but its not worth the $200 difference with something as important as shocks...

FOX!

Back