• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello all

adw595

NAXJA Forum User
Well here I am about 6 months after my car accident which took my stock jeep and turned it into something that can handle itself a bit better off-roading. Well at least that is my plan. I'm actually at the beginning of a very long road. So far Ive got the thing running, which wasn't easy, and designed and built a front bumper to house a winch... I hope to one day afford. I'm actually almost done with the bumper. I finished all the welding and grinding but still need to paint the darn thing.

On my long list of what to do next I think I'm going to install a Ham radio and a CB radio. Or rock sliders not sure which will come first, but they are a close second.

So once I finish those things, I dont know what is the next important thing to do. I know there was a thread a while ago..

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1089621

There it is... Lesson learned save interesting threads, they disappear fast. But i think i will get the same stock gas tank skid and jcr belly pan.

What do you think? I know this was a long winded introduction, but there you go..

-Aaron

On my long list of what to do next I think I'm going to install a Ham radio and a CB radio. Or rock sliders not sure which will come first, but they are a close second.

So once I finish those things, I dont know what is the next important thing to do. I know there was a thread a while ago.. What do you think? -Aaron

First off... WELCOME!!!

First on the list should be frame stiffeners and armor. Then there is no need to take the rock rails on and off. Such a PITA IMO... LOL

X2 lets see some pics!!!!!!!!!!

I hope this works first time posting pictures... I knew i would have to eventually...

2012-08-14171309_zpsd857d2a4.jpg

This is the Template i got from my solidworks model... i used some scrap 1/4in mdf to test fit the pieces...

2012-08-24211632_zps15d67b25.jpg

Once i test fit the pieces together, I was lucky enough to have access to a plasma cutter. It was as simple as clamp template, cut, grind off slag. This is the bumper after the first day.

2012-09-07130407_zps4d0ba097.jpg

Here are the reinforced shackle tabs. This is actually my first welding project... i had a bunch of scrap laying around so i practiced until I felt comfortable and went for it... I know it isnt the most beautiful thing but hopefully it will work.

2012-05-02110522_zps40dca5fd.jpg

This is just so you can see where i came from...

2012-08-16093053_zpsd01f34d6.jpg

I added this RE 3.5" superflex lift and her she is now... so far Ive done everything my self except the paint with a basic philosophy: if it looks broken, remove it, try to fix it, if that fails buy a new part...

2012-08-30183143_zps4eb2f175.jpg

This is her bad side, still looks good though... i actually removed the bumper to paint it... but i haven't gotten around to it yet.

Actually come to think of it, I have the pdf file that i took to kinkos to print that template, if anyone wants a copy i'd be more than happy to email it, as well as the solidwork files if you have the ability to view them.

Ohh i totally forgot to mention, when i cut the lower cross-member out, I reinforced the steering box with 1/4 plate. I went a little weld crazy and welded as much stuff as i could... i also welded some tab reinforcements, similar to people who have the stock tow hooks, except i cant take mine off now. I also have been putting off this:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...-box-braces/rustys-steering-box-brace-xj.html

what else (where else) needs to be stiffened? From what ive been reading its mainly near the steering box.

Ohh i totally forgot to mention, when i cut the lower cross-member out, I reinforced the steering box with 1/4 plate. I went a little weld crazy and welded as much stuff as i could... i also welded some tab reinforcements, similar to people who have the stock tow hooks, except i cant take mine off now. I also have been putting off this:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-s...-box-braces/rustys-steering-box-brace-xj.html

what else (where else) needs to be stiffened? From what ive been reading its mainly near the steering box.

Good lookin bumper man! :clap: How thick are those D ring tabs though? Look kinda thin and could bend if pulling off to one side or the other. Could be camera angle to though.

The main unibody is fairly weak or gets weaker over time from twisting and can give you all sorts of problems down the road.

http://www.hdoffroadengineering.com/products/xj-frame-stiffener-set
http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/XJRAIL.html

Last edited:
That last picture was a test mount to make sure it didn't torque when welding, i reinforced the D-ring tabs to 3/4inch. in my simulation it said it could withstand about 8 tons force directly out, but i didn't test for angles. do you think it needs more? also thanks for posting those links, honestly that's the first I've seen of them. I'm glad i know about them now, i was going to weld the rock rails on. that would have sucked.

The main area's are in & around the front frame rails. So if you brace them do outside, bottom & inside..1/8" would be more than fine.
The middle stiffeners are a must! Running from the control arm mount to the leaf springs.
After that there isn't much to worry about..you can brace the rear but I don't think most do!

You have no idea how long it took me to decide on the winch. i kept going back and forth between warn m8000, and the smittybilt x20 8000. I went to the Pomona off roading expo, and they had a great deal on the smittybilt, so i went with that. I'll be sure to tell you how i like it. i figure for 300 bucks, i could buy another one if it breaks before i even get close to the cost of the warn.

Back